ATX Community

Change to EFTPS login using ID.me

JohnH

2 hours ago, Bart said:

We have 60 payroll clients.  How are going to comply with this change?

Bart: 
If you have any clients for whom you enter the EFTPS info, you can log into each one individually with the same ID.me or Login.gov account. You'll just have to add the MFA step before accessing the EFTPS login for each client. Not really a big deal, PROVIDED you have a Login.gov or ID.me account already set up.   

But for those clients who do their own EFTPS, they need a "heads up" email, text,  or phone call.  Each of those clients  needs to register with Login.gov or ID.me before attempting their next EFTPS transaction.  (They can also do at payroll tax deposit by phone, but I'm betting the phone lines will be jammed since so many people didn't know this was coming.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

Bart: 
If you have any clients for whom you enter the EFTPS info, you can log into each one individually with the same ID.me or Login.gov account. You'll just have to add the MFA step before accessing the EFTPS login for each client. Not really a big deal, PROVIDED you have a Login.gov or ID.me account already set up.   

But for those clients who do their own EFTPS, they need a "heads up" email, text,  or phone call.  Each of those clients  needs to register with Login.gov or ID.me before attempting their next EFTPS transaction.  (They can also do at payroll tax deposit by phone, but I'm betting the phone lines will be jammed since so many people didn't know this was coming.)

If we add MFA to each EFTPS client, where is the MFA code sent?

The MFA code is sent to the phone of the person signing in through ID.me or Login.gov prior to gaining access for purposes of logging into EFTPS.  The entire process is designed to identify the individual signing in to EFTPS. 

It's easy to understand if you just sign in to an EFTPS account a few times.  But the first thing you must have is a validated Login.gov or ID.me account. That's the key to the whole process.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just made a deposit.  No issue as I had an ID.me login already. My impression is this is not a security issue, but a way to more accurately make sure who is in the liability chain.  For instance, the non licensed type of payroll people who make deposits "for" someone are now going to be accurately (if ID.me is good) added to the liability chain.

I don't "buy" the addition of the new step is for security.  No need.  If someone access the bank info, the bank indemnifies the account holders (what we pay banks for) assuming the terms of timely notice are met. A hassle to clean up, but not overly costly. Any decent bank will have a way to instantly get WD info via SMS and/or email.

BTW, not one customer of mine has asked or mentioned this change!  A few have asked about getting into SSA BSO for EOY.

---

What I mean by the non licensed type is not those who prepare payroll docs and data and hand them to the employer to handle, I am meaning those who pretend to be a real payroll "service" and get the employer's login and bank information as a way around using escrow accounts and filing as a preparer.

• Like 2