ATX Community

Bulk Engagement Letter

Lauren Kurtz

I prepare my own engagement letter based on the one provided by AICPA.  For additional information, I also have a cover letter where I remind people about FINCEN filing if applicable, my current year rate and other items.

For many forms you can customize but I don't see that form/letter in the list.  Perhaps someone else who uses it may reply.

• Like 2

in years past, I had two versions to send out, depending on how much room I had (I don't want to go over one page) and if there are new tax laws to consider--one for clients with businesses and others, or one for retirees and one for others.  This year I composed one letter to all clients--I don't bother to use what ATX has to offer.

I sent this year's out in October and it is already obsolete because of the IRS decision to delay implementation of 1099-K changes and the extension of BOI to 90 days for new businesses.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:28 PM, Catherine said:

We have the FinCen requirements on our annual document checklist, but for 2023 I'm putting it in the engagement letter, too. As soon as the draft comes out and I can edit it.

I took a different approach.   I am not including it in my engagement letter.   I sent the BOI instructions to each of my affected clients and told them in the email that I could not prepare it and I was letting them know about their requirement as a courtesy.

Not being argumentative, just asking.   By putting it in your engagement letter, are you in a backhanded way telling your clients this is a tax issue?   I did the above because I don't feel it is a tax issue and it is not my responsibility to even notify them of their requirement to comply.   In the same way I don't tell my clients it is their responsibility to file their annual SOS report or their county property tax returns.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I did the above because I don't feel it is a tax issue and it is not my responsibility to even notify them of their requirement to comply.

I have clients for whom Form 8938 is required, and that is a tax issue. I wanted it very clear in the engagement letter that the requirements are different, and that they are on their own for the FBAR. I don't want a case of someone not filing, then blaming me for not being clear enough. If it's in the eng ltr, they were told clearly *and* accepted it. 

• Like 3