ATX Community

NP lost their exempt status (warning - grumble mumbling)

schirallicpa

This is a fairly large NP that must file a 990.  They didn't file 2020 due in 2021.  Ok- you can probably blame covid.  Then they didn't file 2021 due in 2022.  Well - shouldn't they have gotten a notice by then?  So then they didn't file 2022 in 2023.  Hmmm.  No notice?  No "hey you gotta file?"  They claim not.  Regardless, as of May 15, 2023 they lost their status.  I did not have that notice.  Tried to file 2020 and 2021 and 2022 in Oct.  Nope - all rejected.  Oh - we got this notice of revocation - do you think that's why?  UGH!  Now - who gets a handful of crap when I tell them we have to re-apply for status?  And they don't know where to find articles of incorp.  or bylaws.  or any originating paperwork.  Sorry - I can't make up this stuff for you.  

What is with these small NPs!  I get so aggravated.  It's a boys club and they don't want to pay for a bookkeeper and they don't want to take the return to someone to do right.  So here we are with them calling me up saying they can't sit around and wait for their exempt status to be re-approved.  Well - file as a c-corp.  

Grumble mumble.......grumble mumble.....

• Sad 1

Been there. With a group first incorporated in the 20's (1920's).  No one had bothered to keep up (this was the 80's), so before accepting BOD position, I required corp refresh.  The attorney suggested a new corp, and let the old one lie (which is likely what is best here too). But, if they took in donations or had other financial transactions which depended on NP, some sort of revival, at whatever the cost is, may be best.