ATX Community

Part-Time Seasonal Opportunity with Drake Software

JRS

From Drake:

"I am writing to you today to extend an invitation to apply as a part-time, remote agent with our Customer Service team. Your in-depth knowledge of our software and exceptional understanding of our products makes you an ideal candidate for this exciting opportunity. Your insights and experience would be invaluable as we strive to provide exceptional customer support during tax season.

This part-time opportunity offers a flexible work arrangement that allows you to contribute your skills and knowledge while maintaining your current commitments. As a remote customer service agent, you would play a crucial role in assisting our customers, addressing their inquiries promptly and effectively, and ensuring their continued satisfaction with our products and services............."

How much are they paying? I checked into it last year for my sister-in-law and Intuit paid $30 per hour and TaxAct paid $35 per hour plus a bonus that could easily get you up to $45 per hour. Not a bad supplement wage if you starting a practice. My sister-in-law is working on her EA to snag that in retirement. Her attitude is that $10k makes a massive difference.

Customer support, over the phone, is not something you could pay me for ever again. 30 years was enough. It was great fun the first 10, since I was chatting with people just like me. The second 10 was OK, as many still knew what they were doing (computer, software, and profession wise). The latter 10 was miserable. Since computers have become an appliance (think toaster), the skill level of those using them varies, and the expectation of the computer and the software allowing anyone to be an expert is almost universal.

The most recent 10 has been written support only. Works well, 90% are relatively automated, using stock replies I have tweaked over the years. 9% require manual reply. 1%, the magic 1%, are actually interesting. Had one of the elusive ones - similar to decades ago - where both parties learned something in a professional manner - and it was absolutely an interesting outlier situation.

Maybe what Drake is offering is pre filtered, but even then, those who have been waiting to reach you will be peeved at best. Look back at some of the posts here, from ourselves, and imagine you were answering us over the phone after queuing to wait.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcbreck said:

How much are they paying? I checked into it last year for my sister-in-law and Intuit paid $30 per hour and TaxAct paid $35 per hour plus a bonus that could easily get you up to $45 per hour. Not a bad supplement wage if you starting a practice. My sister-in-law is working on her EA to snag that in retirement. Her attitude is that $10k makes a massive difference.

$30 to $45 per hour wouldn't inspire me to sign up.

I would rather spend my time reading a good book🫠

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lee B said:

$30 to $45 per hour wouldn't inspire me to sign up.

I would rather spend my time reading a good book🫠

I was not kidding, there is no amount (which anyone would pay) which would entice me. I've had enough. It is a natural progression though, and I was so fortunate to start when all computer users were experts, and those who had a computer and my software, were at the top of the expert list. It was like chatting with a trusted colleague. A few of those originals have become close friends. How many times can one person tell someone the solution is to properly read and do what is in plain language on their receipt? How much can someone pay for that sort of hand holding? Of course, had I been paying attention, I would have seen the end was near when W3.1 came out, and I started to get questions about how to find the drive door, and why was the floppy disk in a hard case now.  And I remember all too well having to tell some to put their thumb on the label then insert the disk (so it would not be upside down).

It used to be a whole day of "fun" things like one yesterday. Looking into how IPERS contributions are to be reported on a W2. (No, NOT required to be in box 14, only a should be ignored "may". Yes, check the retirement box and alter FWH and SWH wages. And the kicker, no known requirement to include the amount in Box 12! as none of the codes apply.)

• Like 1

The only good thing about call support for Drake is that the phones are generally answered within a few rings, and sent to the right department right away. Therefore one would not get the royally-ticked-off-by-phone-tree calls. 

Still, I'd give this a hard pass. I have easier ways to hurt myself.