ATX Community

Tax Due On Third Party Payer Sales

Christian

A client's daughter sold a bunch of items on Ebay and now has received a listing which shows over $11,000 in items sold. In my tax education this year I read that the IRS had suspended tax on these earnings for 2023 much as was done in 2022 until congress could decide a more reasonable amount for these earnings to tax. Am I correct on this and does someone possess an article on this. I recall reading it in Kiplinger's and intended on saving that issue but health issues this year served to confound my usually good work habits.

Reporting the taxable income has not changed. What has/will change is the threshold for the electronic payment vendors to report 1099 data. A big for instance, I was able to get some Adele Las Vegas tix for the original dates. When she bailed at the last minute, we bailed as well, selling then for a HEFTY markup (paid for a fam trip to the Mouse). Just because I am not getting a 1099 does not mean the profit is "tax free".

• Like 1

had a (former) client got caught in a similar situation--no mention to me of their buying and selling and possibly no 1099-K, but the IRS knew the amount they sold on eBay.  When I told them they would need to know what they paid for every item they sold, they had a hissy fit.  Since I had no idea how long this had been going on (possibly for years), I told them I wouldn't handle it and recommended they get a tax attorney.  Their new CPA wanted to know why I didn't want to handle such a simple matter and I told him I'd retired.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1