ATX Community

Self Rental

Self-Rental is subject to Self-Employment Tax.

One common thing businesses are doing:  Create an LLC with their building or real estate - pay at least FMV rent to the building, and take a deduction for rent against their self-employment tax.  And then the LLC reports rental income not subject to self-employment tax.

If the building is rented to no other party, how does this strategy stack up to the self-rental doctrine?

JohnH has a tax-preparation and consulting business in North Carolina, which makes $100,000 per year.  He and his wife own a building and decide to open up an LLC filing as a partnership.  He pays enough rent such that the LLC makes $20,000 profit, and the LLC reports its income on Form 8825 meaning there is no self-employment tax.  The LLC has no other customers paying rent.

Eureka!!!  JohnH still makes $100,000 per year, but pays self-employment tax on only $80,000.  But has he violated the "Self-Rental" doctrine??

• Confused 1

I had a car wash client.. owned a laser car wash.. two single member LLCs set up. one for the car wash itself/ equipment and one for the building.  The car wash LLC paid rent to the real estate LLC.. it was overturned in audit, saying self employment tax was skipped out on.. I have been subsequently told the IRS audit could have been challenged.  This was my one and only time I sumitted a claim to my professional liability insurance in 30 years. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimTaxes said:

I had a car wash client.. owned a laser car wash.. two single member LLCs set up. one for the car wash itself/ equipment and one for the building.  The car wash LLC paid rent to the real estate LLC.. it was overturned in audit, saying self employment tax was skipped out on.. I have been subsequently told the IRS audit could have been challenged.  This was my one and only time I sumitted a claim to my professional liability insurance in 30 years. 

SMLLCs are disregarded, so the IRS was correct. Now if the operating LLC was taxed as an S corp, then the S corp could pay rent to the other disregarded LLC.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JohnH said:

Sorry, I lost you at “JohnH has a tax-preparation and consulting business in North Carolina, which makes $100,000 per year.”  😳

JohnH, sorry I couldn't resist!  I remember the Pablo restaurant on Polk Place years ago....

23 hours ago, Corduroy Frog said:

JohnH, sorry I couldn't resist!  I remember the Pablo restaurant on Polk Place years ago....

So do I.  It was an enjoyable meeting. It’s closed now, although there are 3 or 4 in the area that are just as good.