ATX Community

IRS matching W2s

Randall

How long does it take for the IRS to match W2s?  Got a call from a client.  He received a letter from IRS about his 2022 return.  Apparently IRS has more W2 income than we showed on the return.  Spouse had 2 W2s but apparently there is another.  He's going to try to get all the W2s.  But it seems the IRS should have matched this up a long time ago.

26 minutes ago, mcbreck said:

2022 is just last years tax return. Seems very reasonable to still be processing returns since W2s are often paper filed.

Starting with 1/1/24, the threshold triggering efile was reduced to an aggregate of 10 of the specified forms. With some of the rules requiring efile at 1 form, the only prudent advice at present is to efile W2 data. The IRS is said to be working on free 941 efile, which is the long missing piece for employers. Matching is one reason for the change in threshold.

The client should be able to log in and at least see the total income the IRS has, maybe by comparing against their records, they can figure out what the difference applied to (if it was "real").

5 minutes ago, Lee B said:

I would really like to see free efiling of 941s.

Of course they will probably run it through IRIS like the 1099s🙄

IRIS would be fine, anything really at this point (free). I suspect there is some lobbying somewhere to hold out as long as possible, as there is a good amount of $ being made filing for others at a cost, or charging in software per form. I look at a service every year, and it always seems to be to be about $5 per form at the customer level. I do not want to get into submitting for customers, since it tacks on responsibility for monitoring and relaying status, but IRIS worked well for my customers handling 1099 (and me too, I had one this year!).

I'm seeing a lot of employers reorgainizing or changing names or whatever.  Even if the client didn't change jobs, they would get two W2s.  I think this may have happened with my client.  I was just a little surprised it would be this long for something like that to just now be caught by IRS.

2 minutes ago, Randall said:

I'm seeing a lot of employers reorgainizing or changing names or whatever.  Even if the client didn't change jobs, they would get two W2s.  I think this may have happened with my client.  I was just a little surprised it would be this long for something like that to just now be caught by IRS.

Besides the usual UI dumping scenarios, there seem to have been more than usual changes requiring a new FEIN (and thus, more than one W2 from the same "employer"). Also, with more and more ER's catching on the the rules for remote work, there are more issuing multiple W2 forms when an EE has more than one work location state (since the EE should, for many reasons, be setting up a new entity for each state, and in come cases, each work location).

The TP should have handled this, but this is another questionnaire scenario for preparers, something like "Do the W2's you have show all wage income for the year - is there any chance you may have received more than one W2 for any job?"