ATX Community

IRS PIN needed for deceased spouse?

ETax847

Clients are MFJ and spouse passed away in early Jan. Surviving widow cannot find her husband's IRS PIN. When someone passes is their PIN still required or does it fall off due to their passing?  Has anyone had to deal with this situation before?

In general, for any filer whose SSN is used on the return and has an IP PIN, that IP PIN must be entered on the return or the return will be rejected.  Even a paper-filed return will require the entry, or without it the IRS will need to verify the identity through other methods and will slow down its processing.

Is it possible that the spouse opted to retrieve the IP PIN electronically and a paper notice wasn't mailed?  This sounds like a case where a call to the IRS # for special situations is needed to answer the question. 

If you're unable to retrieve your IP PIN online:

You may call us at 800-908-4490 for specialized assistance, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time), to have your IP PIN reissued to you. An assistor will verify your identity and mail your IP PIN to your address of record within 21 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a current rejected return due to the spouse's unentered IP Pin.

My clients say that she never applied for a IP Pin.

My clients are elderly and are not proficient with computers.

Just curious, has anyone had a return rejected when there wasn't an IP Pin to be reissued?🤨