ATX Community

VPN

mcbreck

They are likely blocking certain IP ranges, and your VPN is using one of those ranges. Try changing your VPN sever/IP location.

Most VPN's come from known IP ranges, which is how companied like Netflix try to block certain access. For me, I block outside of North America, not only because my software does not apply outside of NA, and reducing unwanted access attempts, but I avoid having to comply with the EU "cookie" pop up laws!

I also block known bot farms within NA, and other IP ranges based on experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcbreck said:

Just in the past few days I've noticed I can no longer load Drake / Sync while connected to my VPN. Anyone else notice this? Maybe it's just my VPN.

Yes, it has been like that almost since the beginning of this season for me. When the program would open, I had no alerts or notifications in that bottom left corner of the manager screen, and I wasn't able to get program updates.  I didn't realize this at first because I was only waiting for state approval of a certain form.

Also, MS Edge browser window would open on top of the program every time, and I couldn't make the support person or her supervisor understand this. I have never used Edge, and the supervisor's suggestion was for me to try changing to Edge as my default browser, or try Chrome.  I could NOT make either of them understand at all that something with my computer's environment was blocking communication from the program to Drake's server, that it was not a browser issue.  Finally after about 6 calls the supervisor sent a message to a higher level support person.  Very frustrating!

We worked on it and thought it was solved with me changing settings in my AV, but the problem reappeared again in late Feb. I ended up changing to a different AV software completely but had only disabled the original one. That worked until I rebooted the computer and a portion related to the original AV's VPN was still enabled, and THAT was the issue.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jim Oh Bkkr said:

I had that happen once.  I just figured I had inadvertently clicked something. 

Also, I have had to re-sign in after updating about 10% of the time this year!

What program are you having to sign into again?

37 minutes ago, Lee B said:

Given the context, I assume Jim means signing back into Drake?

Which hasn't happened to me.

Oh right, he meant after the program updates.  I had that happen once mid-season but hasn't happened since then.

I'm more tired than I realized.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Oh right, he meant after the program updates.  I had that happen once mid-season but hasn't happened since then.

I'm more tired than I realized.

Well, it just happened to me, I just updated and had to sign back in🤨

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcbreck said:

Oddly, no problem logging in with the VPN today. Maybe they fixed it.

Likely nothing was broken. The VPN could be routing you through a different IP range, which the site is not yet tracking. Years ago, I found a list of all the IP ranges controlled by a competitor, which happened to also be routinely scraping my site. Easy enough to block. Same for bot scrapers. I don't really care about VPN use, as I do have customers outside the US (travel) who need access, but I have seen many lists of VPN IP ranges (so they could be easily blocked).

I also, many years ago, blocked some of the way back type sites, and as best I can, I block the addresses who want to scrape me to use/sell for their "AI" purposes. Even so, I still can find lifted content in AI sites, and in other places.