ATX Community

30/30/20/20

jainen

Whatch y'all think about California changing requirements for ES payments to 30/30/20/20? Technically that means withholding will generate a penalty since it is allocated equally to each quarter! Does everybody have to annualize now 'cause that still goes at 25%? Are other states and the IRS going to seek accelerated payments too?

Whatch y'all think about California changing requirements for ES payments to 30/30/20/20? Technically that means withholding will generate a penalty since it is allocated equally to each quarter! Does everybody have to annualize now 'cause that still goes at 25%? Are other states and the IRS going to seek accelerated payments too?

I'm not sure about California, but the IRS views withholding as paid on time regardless of when it was withheld. So you could have 0 withholding for the first 8 months of the year and then have an employer withhold a really high amount the final 4 months and get away without a penalty.Allows you to do things like check withholding against estimated tax in September and adjust withholding to cover it whereas if you were making estimated payments there would be a penalty.

So if I were to guess, I'd guess CA's change would apply to estimated payments only and not withholding.

>>high income taxpayers<<

High Income taxpayers have also lost the safe harbor of paying 100/110% of prior year tax. There are also some new "incentives" for withholding. Note that these rules are all about payments; none of these are tax increases which is why I expect they will be easily adopted nation-wide.

I'm going to my Spidell update tomorrow so I guess I'll find out what is up then. Went to a CPE class presented by CA's Taxpayer Advocate and he thought that for CA, withholding could be a problem if not frontloaded; one of the things our oh-so-efficient legislators didn't really think of when they passed this crap. At least I left the presentation with the guy's phone number, so if things get too bad I call call and complain.

So far, CA is the only state inane enough to try to cook the books by accellerating estimates. I guess it goes along with considering loans 'revenue' & all the other patches, workarounds, etc they are doing instead of cutting programs and raising taxes.

>>ProSeries still shows all 4 quarters equally <<

I'm so lazy, I haven't even loaded the new disk. Quickfinder arrived just yesterday, and that's where I get my organizer to send out someday. Business doesn't really pick up for me until February.

As for Proseries, it's a forms-based program. CA 2008 Form 5805 still offers the short method without reflecting the requirement for accelerated estimates. And the new rule doesn't apply to the annualization method. So I don't know what it means.

I haven't checked ATX's estimate calcs yet. Spidell raised the same questions as the Tax Advocate did regarding withholding. The law was written without addressing the fact that withholding is applied on the same basis as federal. What a mess. Is it time for an armed revolution yet? shall I storm the capitol with torches and pitchforks?

I haven't checked ATX's estimate calcs yet. Spidell raised the same questions as the Tax Advocate did regarding withholding. The law was written without addressing the fact that withholding is applied on the same basis as federal. What a mess. Is it time for an armed revolution yet? shall I storm the capitol with torches and pitchforks?

How many torches and pitchforks can you carry? Maybe the state can sell them to raise enough money to issue refunds! :spaz:

"torches and pitchforks " ? You used to watch the Glen Beck show on CNN, didn't you? I wonder if they let him take the pitchforks with him when they killed his show? If so, would that be considered a taxable perk? Since they were gifts to him from viewers, seems to me they should have let him take them, and they should not be taxable to him, either. Wonder if he'll have them on his new show that starts this month on Fox News?

Don't know who Glen Beck is. I'm referring to the villagers storming Frankenstein's castle in any and every movie, spoof of movie, etc.

It's the least I can do. I'm just thankful I'm on medication that is allowing me to tune out a lot of politics. At least I think its the medication. It may just be my self-preservation instinct kicking in (keeping me from heart attack or stroke when looking at the latest headlines).

Glenn Beck is a radio talk show host and he started talking some months ago about the need to take pitchforks to DC and get the attention of the idots in Congress who are spending our money like drunken sailors. Viewers started sending him pitchforks, and he put them on his set. But he got so many that he had to ask that they stop sending them.