ATX Community

lost check cashed by some one else

Pacun

Regardless of what you promised to the guilty person, (s)he still stole the money and should now be turned over to the proper authorities (federal mail). And even though you were successful you should not have confronted the thief. You are not being paid enough to confront crooks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what you promised to the guilty person, (s)he still stole the money and should now be turned over to the proper authorities (federal mail). And even though you were successful you should not have confronted the thief. You are not being paid enough to confront crooks.

ain't this fun!!!! Pacun, whom we all respect, knoiwlingly devises a scenario with minimal facts. We all take him serious :P and during the ensuing cat fight create what is probable the longest thread on this board! Now I know that I will not have to advise my not client that not he/she will not have to pay tax, penalties & int on not retirement income reflected on a not 1099-R. & I am still right - he did NOT receive the $200K.

zeke

I for one am glad that the story turned out the way it did. $200,000.00 is an awful lot to lose, and worst yet have to pay taxes on.

As to the exaggerated case, well all I can say is that a person can learn alot by reading these types of posts. I find them very educational and appreciate everyones viewpoint, but the bottom line is that you have to sort it all out and do your own research to reach a logical conclusion. This particular case I definitely would have referred out of my office and hoped that I could help my client by finding someone more experienced than me to handle it. My experience, especially on this board, is that someone out there somewhere has had something similar happen to them, and that's why we ask for opinions.

In addition to what I just stated I would also like to add that this board is extremely entertaining! I really would rather read the posts each day than watch T.V.!

Well, now that you finally told us that he was not related in any way to the t/p you just might have a slim chance of winning the argument for no constructive receipt. Although I still think you have a better chance of making the bank make him whole. Good luck.

[And next time, give us that critical info up front, OK?]

But KC - that was the fun part. Pacun, over the years, has earned a great deal of respect from all of us. We consider him a reliable and responsible source of information. When he deliberately and obviouslly omitted pertinent data, we all smelled a rat. Most uf us erred in assuming the rat to be the client &/or the thief - anyone but Pacun. He gotcha & me & lots of others!!!! Love it! :lol:

zeke

Yes, I know I misled you but we learned a lot from that experience. I am sorry for misleading you and that's why I said, "don't take it personally, this is strictly business". We all learned something from my posting and we are better equiped if a similar situation knocks our office's door. In this case, two institutions made a mistake, the retirement office by sending the checks to the old address and the bank for allowing ATM deposits of third party checks. A lot of banks allow that though.

You guys are good detectives and cornered me and forced me to tell you the truth.