ATX Community

E-Filing W2s

Ray in Ohio

I have never used ATX to efile W2s and have a question.

In the employer info.. there is space for "SSA Assigned user ID".

What exactly is that? Do I need a different one for each company that I am filing W2s for?

Can I use one for all companies?

Does the T/P have to sign a signature form etc?

I know I should research this on my own, but thought maybe someone could give me a quick heads up.

(starting to get busy here)

Thanks!!

Go to http://ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm

You will need to apply for an ID on this SSA website. This will be the ID you will use on the employer info screen.

You can use the same ID for all clients.

I used it last year (haven't efiled any yet this year) and it worked great.

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated!!!

Does the Taxpayer have to sign a form or anything if I transmit the W2s for them? Or is it same as the 1099s.

The process is the same as for 1099's except for submitting directly to SSA. I have never seen any instructions that require a signature authorization. Our cover letter to the client does indicate that we will submit the W-2's to the SSA on their behalf and we do have a blanket authorization signed by the client that directs us to electronically file tax returns and informational reporting to the respective agencies as requested by the client.

We generate the W-2 submission file but we do not submit to the SSA until sometime in February. Just in case there is an address wrong or an amount or a social security number.

Maribeth

The process is the same as for 1099's except for submitting directly to SSA. I have never seen any instructions that require a signature authorization. Our cover letter to the client does indicate that we will submit the W-2's to the SSA on their behalf and we do have a blanket authorization signed by the client that directs us to electronically file tax returns and informational reporting to the respective agencies as requested by the client.

We generate the W-2 submission file but we do not submit to the SSA until sometime in February. Just in case there is an address wrong or an amount or a social security number.

Maribeth

Doesn't the client have to sign Form 6847, which is then faxed to the IRS before you can e-file? Only once; good basically forever.

Catherine