ATX Community

CA Renters Credit Limits not right??

Howard

According to all of my research books (even the new California Tax Quickfinder), it clearly states that for MFJ, HOH or survivin spouses, the max Nonrefundable 2008 Renter's Credit is $120 if CA AGI is $69,872 ($66,544 for 2007) or less. Even the ATX Form which drives this credit states the same limitation.

Can you please tell me why then, when I go to efile this client (his CA AGI = $66,637), I get an error message telling me that the CA AGI must be less than $66,544? This is the old 2007 limit, NOT the new 2008 limit...

I have held off efiling his CA until I can get an answer...has the limits been reduced??

Howard Owens

"Hmm, the 540 refers to page 14 of the instructions. Page 14 of the instructions says to complete the worksheet on page 58. The instructions only go to page 20. Last year the instructions went to page 60. Looks like CA is missing some form instructions there..."

Here is the link to the whole 68 pages.

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2008/08_540bk.pdf

Your figures are right, so there must be a glitch in transmitting or receiving, probably the latter, since our state is in such a mess. But that's OK, Arnie is going to put sales tax on our pets, when we take them to the vet. That and a higher gas tax will fix everything.

Following KC Jenkins' advice (thank you KC), I direct emailed ATX through their 'Suggestion Box' and received an ATX response as early as this morning. There was an error with the e-filing of the CA Nonrefundable Renters Credit, which was fixed this morning by a form download. Here is ATX's response:

Dear Howard:

Your concerns are absolutely valid and it has been reported that an erroneous e-file error message has been populating for this instance. This update has been pushed out this morning and thus the fix has been made.

Sincerely,

Sandy Gelb

ATX Tax Manager

CCH Small Firm Services,

a Wolters Kluwer business

"Hmm, the 540 refers to page 14 of the instructions. Page 14 of the instructions says to complete the worksheet on page 58. The instructions only go to page 20. Last year the instructions went to page 60. Looks like CA is missing some form instructions there..."

Here is the link to the whole 68 pages.

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2008/08_540bk.pdf

Your figures are right, so there must be a glitch in transmitting or receiving, probably the latter, since our state is in such a mess. But that's OK, Arnie is going to put sales tax on our pets, when we take them to the vet. That and a higher gas tax will fix everything.

I heard that your state is going to secede from the Union and become "The Peoples Republic of California".

Comrade Booger

I heard that your state is going to secede from the Union and become "The Peoples Republic of California".

Comrade Booger

For years, the people of the REAL northern California, above Sacramento, have had the idea of forming the "State of Jefferson." Parts of southern Oregon have shown interest in joining. With our main "cash" crop legalized, we could fund our budget with no problem!

Following KC Jenkins' advice (thank you KC), I direct emailed ATX through their 'Suggestion Box' and received an ATX response as early as this morning. There was an error with the e-filing of the CA Nonrefundable Renters Credit, which was fixed this morning by a form download. Here is ATX's response:

Dear Howard:

Your concerns are absolutely valid and it has been reported that an erroneous e-file error message has been populating for this instance. This update has been pushed out this morning and thus the fix has been made.

Sincerely,

Sandy Gelb

ATX Tax Manager

CCH Small Firm Services,

a Wolters Kluwer business

Well, I'm glad that helped, and I HOPE that a lot of other folks will read your post and be inspired to use the Suggestion Box, instead of just getting on here and griping about problems. Not that it is not OK to gripe, just that it does not let the people who can fix it know that it needs fixing.

After all, the tax code is incredibly complex, and so are many of the forms, both federal and state, and there will always be some glitches. And especially with the state forms, those glitches may not show up until a complex series of combined factors come into play.

So when ever someone spots one, or thinks they have spotted one, they need to let the programmers know. The SUGGESTION BOX is how you do that. And I've always found the response to be fast, polite, and helpful.

Well, I'm glad that helped, and I HOPE that a lot of other folks will read your post and be inspired to use the Suggestion Box, instead of just getting on here and griping about problems. Not that it is not OK to gripe, just that it does not let the people who can fix it know that it needs fixing.

After all, the tax code is incredibly complex, and so are many of the forms, both federal and state, and there will always be some glitches. And especially with the state forms, those glitches may not show up until a complex series of combined factors come into play.

So when ever someone spots one, or thinks they have spotted one, they need to let the programmers know. The SUGGESTION BOX is how you do that. And I've always found the response to be fast, polite, and helpful.

:)