ATX Community

Never e-filed 941s before

David

I have never e-filed 941s before. But now that we are required to manually sign the 941s, I'm thinking of e-filing them.

Usually, I email the 941 to my client for them to print, sign and mail. It appears that I can no longer do that since the form has to have my manual signature.

The only solution is to mail the form to the client. Has anyone figured out a better way to handle this?

It seems as though e-filing 941s isn't as simple as e-filing 1099s and other forms. If I understand correctly, I have to apply for a PIn for each client and apply for a PIN for me and it takes 7 - 10 days to get approval from the IRS. By that time, the forms will be late.

Is there an easier way to get set up to e-file 941s without having to get each client to apply for a PIN?

Thanks for your help.

"Is there an easier way to get set up to e-file 941s without having to get each client to apply for a PIN?"

If you discover an easier way, please let me know. We have been trying for two years now to get everyone signed up for electronic filing on their 941's and 940's. We have been successful with just a handful of clients. We tried to get 8 clients signed up during the month of November. We submitted the Pin request, it was acknowledged, and not one, NOT ONE, client receved the confirming letter and pin number from the IRS. Trying to efile the 941's and 940's is worse then efiling a 1040. It is just plain ridiculous.

And, I was not aware of the requirement for the manual signature this year until I read your post. I believe that if I can use a computer generated signature on a 1040, then I can damn well use a computer generated signature on a 941. I have customzied the master form to do so.

If you have any luck in your quest, please let me know.

Maribeth

David, I scanned my signature, created a *.bmp file of it; Adobe Acrobat (version 6) 'captured' that as my "digital signature," which I've been applying to all returns for a couple of years. No authority ever has rejected one.

I.e., I can suggest only this workaround, that, as you were in the custom of emailing returns to clients, implies you've got the means to create PDFs. Hope this helps, TaxCPANY

I have never e-filed 941s before. But now that we are required to manually sign the 941s, I'm thinking of e-filing them.

Usually, I email the 941 to my client for them to print, sign and mail. It appears that I can no longer do that since the form has to have my manual signature.

The only solution is to mail the form to the client. Has anyone figured out a better way to handle this?

It seems as though e-filing 941s isn't as simple as e-filing 1099s and other forms. If I understand correctly, I have to apply for a PIn for each client and apply for a PIN for me and it takes 7 - 10 days to get approval from the IRS. By that time, the forms will be late.

Is there an easier way to get set up to e-file 941s without having to get each client to apply for a PIN?

Thanks for your help.