ATX Community

To Yardley

TAXBILLY

Tried to send the fax last night but got a recording. Do you want me to try again?

taxbilly

TaxBilly...thank you. I also had a couple other members try and none of the faxes came through. I have "Identaring," basically two numbers coming through one line. The fax ring is suppose to go to the fax while the regular ring goes to my answering machine. Seems both are going to my answering machine, so I have to work on that.

Thanks for your help though.

Yardley, why not sign up for one of the free fax services like eFax, and then you can get it as a pdf directly to your email.? There are several options that allow low volume faxing free. Saves paper, too.

I'll second that. One day my fax machine ran out of film right in the middle of something in tax season. I had to drop everything to go buy a new film or sign up for e-fax. Now I receive clearer faxes in my email and just use the fax machine to transmit forms, etc. I had to sign up for the $ 16.95-per-month e-fax because someone faxed me more pages than the free version allowed. The $ 16.95 is offset by not needing a fax telephone line.

http://websearch.about.com/od/usefulsite1/...-fax-online.htm Five Ways to Send a Free Fax Online

also check out

www.Fax.com

www.RingCentral.com 300 pages a month free

www.Onefax.com Free Inbound Unlimited Fax.

www.faxzero.com

And here's a page with more info, that is sorted by what type of use you need. Does not cover them all, but worth checking out:

http://www.savetz.com/fax/helpmechoose.php

I can't easily find the answer to my situation. Perhaps one doesn't exist. I have had a dedicated fax line for about 10 years. I would like to utilize sending and receiving on my pc but don't want to change fax numbers as it is on all cards, letterhead, etc. It seems from my reading that one must sign up with a service which will provide a number and that one cannot use an existing number. I don't mind continuing to pay for this second line; it's only $10 per month. I just want to use pc interface.

I have 2 mfc's. Is it possible to use those? I am having trouble understanding the process and technology. I wouldn't be making any changes until after tax season in any event. My brain can handle only so much at a time, but wanted to educate myself more on this topic. Thanks!

I can't easily find the answer to my situation. Perhaps one doesn't exist. I have had a dedicated fax line for about 10 years. I would like to utilize sending and receiving on my pc but don't want to change fax numbers as it is on all cards, letterhead, etc. It seems from my reading that one must sign up with a service which will provide a number and that one cannot use an existing number. I don't mind continuing to pay for this second line; it's only $10 per month. I just want to use pc interface.

I have 2 mfc's. Is it possible to use those? I am having trouble understanding the process and technology. I wouldn't be making any changes until after tax season in any event. My brain can handle only so much at a time, but wanted to educate myself more on this topic. Thanks!

Yes Margaret,

You need to Port your existing number to the a company like "Myfax or Efax". Porting your existing number is just transfering your number. I have done this and I use Myfax.com. I pay $10 per month to Myfax.com for my fax number that I transfered from AT&T. You need to call the E fax company you choose and ask them if it is possible to port your # to their company.

Thanks

Thanks so much! I will definitely look into this in April. I know a little about porting phone numbers. I just barely survived one of the most ill-conceived ideas I've ever had.

I have had dsl for several years and have grown increasingly frustrated with the slowness at times (I do remember dial up- how soon our standards change!).

One really bad day about 3 weeks ago I called the local cable company to change to cable internet and phone. When asking about the voice mail box setup for my 3 promised boxes, I was told by the tech that only one was available. The sales folks, 4 of them each with a different monthly package price, repeatedly lied to me. I angrily called and disconnected all. Then realized I had no phone or internet! And it takes 7 business days to "port" the number back! It was an ugly time when I had to grovel to the cable company to reinstate my phone for a week until I could move it and the internet access back to the phone company.

When calling to make that change though, I was greeted with the message that about 10 areas around me were without (cable) phone service and to please be patient until service is restored. All is now back to square one and the phone company is laying optic cable lines now and will have the very high speed I desire in about 1 1/2 years.