ATX Community

NT - My Question of the day

tilt

So what kind of a pet did she get? If it was a hamster, I'd deduct the darn thing without blinking. If it was a shelter dog that cost $36 for the fees, I'd deduct all of it, if it cost $150 for the adoption, at least half, but probably all. If it was a $600+ dog, I would not deduct it at all, since I'd have to assume that the reason for spending that much was not for the daycare kids.

It was a dog. She told me that the dog "found" them when they were hiking and they just brought it home. From everything I've read, the IRS takes that position that a cat or dog is a family pet and not a deduction. Further reading takes the position that if she bought a hamster or other critter, she would have to keep records to show that she was showing kids how to care for it and document their learning experiences.

I can see a preschool doing something like that. When my sons were in preschool, kids brought a rabbit home on the weekends. But she does not intend to loan the dog out.

It was a dog. She told me that the dog "found" them when they were hiking and they just brought it home. From everything I've read, the IRS takes that position that a cat or dog is a family pet and not a deduction. Further reading takes the position that if she bought a hamster or other critter, she would have to keep records to show that she was showing kids how to care for it and document their learning experiences.

I can see a preschool doing something like that. When my sons were in preschool, kids brought a rabbit home on the weekends. But she does not intend to loan the dog out.

Well, if the dog 'found' them, she has no cost basis to deduct, does she? As for the on-going expenses, which I now assume is your real question, I'd say no to taking those, since it is staying at the family home, not in a separate business location, right? While the expenses of a 'working dog' can be taken, such as a guard dog that lives at the business premises to protect them, a dog that lives with the family and whose only 'work' is to play with the kids, I would not be able to justify.

Thanks KC. That's pretty much my take on it too. I work from home and tell the clients that I have 9 tax kitties. It makes them smile. Sure wish I could write them off - I spend a fortune on them.

Yes...Lila the giant dog (lab-doberman mix) loves to greet clients and scare away bad people....so I can use her vet and food expenses as a business expense right? After all, my auto mechanic said I could!