ATX Community

Depreciation

Kea

Client has rental property with 3 assets. The depreciation is carrying to the 4562 but is not carrying to the Schedule E. If I try to link to the 4562 from the Sch E worksheet depreciation line, it asks if I want a new 4562. How can I make it see the existing 4562?

Also, I am getting a red exclamation mark by one of the assets. But when I go to that form, there are no red lines. The diagnostics do not show any errors. How can I find out what the software thinks is the problem?

Thanks

I learned a little more, but still can't make it work.

The assets are linked to a 4562, but the 4562 is not linked to the Rental A worksheet - instead it is linked to the directly to the Sch E. If I go to the rental worksheet and try to link it to the existing 4562, it doesn't give me that option. It only allows me to create a new 4562.

When I looked in the help section, it said that when you start a new 4562 it will ask you to select the parent form. Is there a way to change the parent form after it is already there? Is there a way to correct this link without re-entering the existing assets?

Thanks

Thanks so much carolynm. I couldn't actually get them to move by dragging (using either the left or right click). BUT, with the right click bringing up the context menu, I found "change parent form." I thought I had looked through all these choices before. Either I missed it or it wasn't there before I added the other 4562.

Anyway, it worked. I wish Tech Support had known about this. He told me I had to re-enter everything.

I still haven't figured out what it doesn't like on the one worksheet, but the diagnostics don't show any errors.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much carolynm. I couldn't actually get them to move by dragging (using either the left or right click). BUT, with the right click bringing up the context menu, I found "change parent form." I thought I had looked through all these choices before. Either I missed it or it wasn't there before I added the other 4562.

Anyway, it worked. I wish Tech Support had known about this. He told me I had to re-enter everything.

I still haven't figured out what it doesn't like on the one worksheet, but the diagnostics don't show any errors.

Thanks again.

Well in defense of tech support they have to put up with the stupid questions from many customers for most of the day. "Why am I not getting EIC", "Why didn't my rental loss carry to 1040 (200k income)", etc... Not to mention broken computers or networks that get blamed on software. At least TRX does have a tax support department which is more than some software providers have.

But that's the great thing about forums like this one. When it's people helping people unless you ask a stupid question you're going to usually get some help. And if you do ask a stupid question you'll get called on it. :)

I didn't mean my comment to be a generalization on TRX support. I have usually gotten pretty good responses. In this particular case, I was disappointed that he didn't know how to move an asset worksheet.

I am also somewhat frustrated that TaxWise isn't as user friendly as I'm used to. I usually make few to no tech support calls. I know part of the problem was that I didn't have much of a chance to practice this software before I started preparing real returns. That is not the fault of TRX, but rather do to personal issues I've been dealing with for the last month or 2. Most of the issues I'm running into, I would not have seen in the dummy returns I would have normally tried, anyway. Most of my testing is on dummy data I input, not usually on rolled over data.

I'll be calling them again tomorrow on some printing error messages I'm getting. But those problems come and go, so it's harder to pin down their sources.

This is a great forum. But since there are not as many TRX users as ATX, it sometimes takes longer to get a response.

I have posted there and here. I get better, quicker responses here. I agree that they have only announced that community on this one. I have never received an e-mail or other correspondence letting me know it was there. My guess is they've never made a general announce of that community. It might be on their website - I haven't checked there in a while.

But 2 forums are always better than one. I post in both places.