ATX Community

Latest Info on New Stimulis Payment Amounts?

Chowdahead

I'm getting questions from nearly every client regarding the latest stimulus package and how much stimulus payments will be this time. The only thing I read on the latest package is that it will cost almost $900 billion, and includes a whole bunch of money for controversial programs.

But as anyone here been able to ascertain how much they are proposing actual stimulus payments to each person to be (i.e. $600 for individuals? $300 per dependent?) Is there any info on these amounts so I can give clients an idea?

Or are they not going to do direct payments this time? A month ago I heard that they were considering cutting the federal income tax withheld from paychecks instead.

I'm getting questions from nearly every client regarding the latest stimulus package and how much stimulus payments will be this time. The only thing I read on the latest package is that it will cost almost $900 billion, and includes a whole bunch of money for controversial programs.

But as anyone here been able to ascertain how much they are proposing actual stimulus payments to each person to be (i.e. $600 for individuals? $300 per dependent?) Is there any info on these amounts so I can give clients an idea?

Or are they not going to do direct payments this time? A month ago I heard that they were considering cutting the federal income tax withheld from paychecks instead.

Chowdahead,

I'm telling my clients that in watching the news so far, it seems that both Democrats and Republicans agree that individual assistance will come through the lowering of the payroll deduction for Federal withholding taxes. "They" say that the money will get into the hands of taxpayers sooner, rather than having to wait on checks to arrive. Also, the general consensus of the outcome of the stimulus checks sent out last year were that taxpayers paid off old debt rather than buying new items. Irregardless, I believe February 13th is the target date that is tenatively set for the new legislation to be ready to be signed.....just have to wait and see how it all goes down.

Cathy