ATX Community

Printing draggggssssss

makmiy

Anybody having the printer dragggg while printing clients' returns? I tried checking the spooling on my default printer but that didn't seem to have any effect. It's only with ATX 2008 that this happens. Any help would be appreciated!

I have noticed that printing is much slower than last year....and I have changed nothing since then....curious

It's because of the ATX program that it's slow. I can't remember exactly what happens in the printing process, but if my memory serves me correctly, ATX changes the forms to a .PDF type (or something like that) attachment when printing. This makes the file larger, quality becomes higher, resources become higher, etc. So in order to do that it slows the printing down. Whereas, other programs do not do that and they are normal printing speeds.

It's because of the ATX program that it's slow. I can't remember exactly what happens in the printing process, but if my memory serves me correctly, ATX changes the forms to a .PDF type (or something like that) attachment when printing. This makes the file larger, quality becomes higher, resources become higher, etc. So in order to do that it slows the printing down. Whereas, other programs do not do that and they are normal printing speeds.

I have always printed straight to pdf for my electronic copies of client's forms. I look over the pdf file, and then print from that. Perhaps that might speed up the actual printing for you? Since it's not doing conversions while sending instructions?

Catherine

I talked with support today. Printing very slow. They had me change the printer's properties to "Print directly to printer" soooo now it starts printing a little faster, it just pauses between each page!! still about same total time to print.

They said, it has helped some people.

But they know it is a problem with the atx software. They have brought a software engineer down from Maine to work on it for them. Imagine that! They needed help from Maine..

He said they will post updates to their progress on the MyATX page (the same spot where they post bank and IRS notices).

Taxtrio

Printing is atrociously slow this year. Sometimes it prints out 3-4 pages... pauses... and prints out 3-4 pages.. and pauses....

Also, I have had to ATL+CTRL+DEL to End Program about 6 or 7 times this year because when I have tried to switch windows to another program (i.e. Web Browser) while ATX is still processing the print job (i.e. hourglass in ATX).. the program will become unresponsive. No way out other than to force it closed.

Same thing happens if I start a print job in ATX and then press "cancel print" on the printer. The program freezes.

So I've learned to not touch anything while the hourglass is still rotating in the print window.