ATX Community

Acquistion or Abandonment of Secured Property

lydia33

I bet we will have this alot...Taxpayer received 1099 A. They filed bankruptcy and let the mortgage company take there house back. Block 2 Bal. of princ. outstanding was $104,000. Block 4 FMV was $74,500. The way I read 1040 Answers it says that it will not be taxed because of the bankruptcy. Do I just not show this anywhere on the tax return? :scratch_head: :scratch_head:

I bet we will have this alot...Taxpayer received 1099 A. They filed bankruptcy and let the mortgage company take there house back. Block 2 Bal. of princ. outstanding was $104,000. Block 4 FMV was $74,500. The way I read 1040 Answers it says that it will not be taxed because of the bankruptcy. Do I just not show this anywhere on the tax return? :scratch_head::scratch_head:

Since it's on a 1099-A the mortgage company is not reporting any COD income, so you don't have to do anything with that. Just look at it as if it were a sale of the property. If this was their principal residence, any loss would not be allowed, and if there was a gain, would it be excluded under sec. 121? Since the mortgage company did not include any COD income, you would use the loan outstanding amount of $104,000 as the sale price.

check IRS pub 4681, page 7, how to report qualified residence principle indebtedness exclusion.

That part of pub. 4681 is talking about canceled debt, and in this case there is no canceled debt. I think pub. 4681 is fairly new, first put out summer '08, and everyone should print it out and keep it handy.