ATX Community

Another nominee with Tax Problems

JRS

In the latest sign of tax trouble in the Obama cabinet, Labor Secretary-designate Hilda Solis’ husband had tax liens filed against him.

Confirmation hearings for Rep. Solis, D-Calif., were delayed after news of the tax problems surfaced. The White House admitted to the latest tax snafu after USA Today discovered 15 tax liens dating back to 1993 from the State of California and Los Angeles County totaling $7,630, some of which have since been paid. The tax liens had been filed against Solis’s husband, Sam H. Sayyad, and his business, Sam’s Foreign and Domestic Auto Center. Sayyad paid $6,400 this week to settle the outstanding tax liens, but still plans to appeal them.

I could understand an occasional slipup or "mistake" as they like to call it, but he has been doing this off and on for 16 years. They also explain it away by saying that her tax returns are in order. When pressed she admitted they filed jointly and he has a sole proprietorship but "his business mail goes to his business".

I think I'll use this excuse the next time I have an innocent spouse case.

taxbilly

This is one nominee that I hope they reject in the confirmation process. She is as liberal as they come and is financed by the Labor Unions. Every one of her campaigns. Her father was a shop steward and her mother was in the SEIU for years. In her book, if you are not union, you should not be allowed to work.

I would love it if Obama had to pass on this one.

Tom

Lodi, CA