ATX Community

SSN vs TIN

DotJenn

I have a client (MFJ) whose wife filed with a ITIN and the return was accepted 3 days ago. He called me today about the stimulous, they did not get the full amount last year due to the fact she did not have a SS #.

Well it seems she got a SS # late last year and they failed to tell me and now they want me to do something with this information so they might pick up the additional $300 stimulous.

The problem here is:

I do not know what to do. My thought was, the return has been e-filed and accepted with the ITIN....there should be matching with social security and if a true ss # was gotten shouldn't it have kicked back at me?

I have seen SS Card....... but the social security number was not input on the tax return because I didn't know about it at the time of filing.

Help.............Please How do I get the additional stimulous for them????

Dorothy Jennell, EA

Exeter, NH

It is possible they received the SS# in late December which may not show up on the IRS master file yet. I would ask to see the SS card and verify the name and number if you are registered with the SS administration to do so. If it is valid, the only course of action left is to amend the return which I would not do until the client has received their refunds.

Terry D.

If you are signed up to e-file W-2's and check SSN's with Social Security, you can check the validity of the number there. But whether or not you can check beforehand, get a copy of the card, and amend after the return and refund have been processed.

Hi up in Exeter; just a bit north of me. Mom of one of my college friends lives in your town.

Catherine

If you file an amended return to correct social security number in place of TIN, IRS would accept amendment but it would not make them eligible for stimulus payment. I filed 3 amended returns for my clients in previous year, none of them received stimulus payment. This was also written in IRS FAQ's