ATX Community

ATX ON RELEASE OF FORMS

Mike D

I can't recall in the 6 years of using ATX waiting this long for almost any form to be approved. I did a little research and found that this form was approved by the IRS on 12/09/2008. In addition most of the high priced software that CCH offers has this form approved.

ATX has extended the relaease of this form at least 3 to 4 times to date and now has just posted a 3/02/09 release date.

What's wrong with this picture? I don't want to speak for all of us but I personally have witnessed the wrath and arrogance of CCH in the past and find myself asking why?

I am holding up the filing of 8 returns as of today and just received a few more that will require this form in order to complete their filings.

We as a group have the ability to pressure these ivory tower execs to comply or face losing major revenue.

Any suggestions?

Mike Dubin CPA

These are the approved release dates from the IRS web site for form 1040-X

Inst 1040-X Instructions for Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return 0209 02/21/2009

Form 1040-X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return 0209 02/21/2009

Again your suspicions are real!

Mike Dubin CPA

I'm having the same problem relative to Form 1040X. ATX keeps telling me that IRS is pushing back the release date for this form. Somehow I find that hard to believe.

Wayne Brasch

Mike,

It may be coincidental-but I don't think so! Not very long after posting my response above and after your response, ATX updated forms and included a Form 1040X without the "DRAFT" watermark written across it. I had updated forms this morning-as is my practice to do so at least twice every day.

Wayne Brasch

Any suggestions?

Mike, I have been waiting on the 1116, too. KC suggested (on a previous thread) filling in the form on irs.gov with the numbers from our "draft" form and just printing that and attaching to return. I did that today for a client who keeps calling me, "What's taking so long?" Of course, client is paper filing.

It's a pain, and the ink is blue (what's that about?!), but the client was REALLY bugging me.

We should not have to be doing this, but I think it's the lesser of two evils. At least I got the client out of my hair. Hope this helps.

Personally, I don't see a release of the 1040X ion the 26th to be unreasonable, when the IRS only released their own approved form on the 21st. But that is just me.

I do wonder what the problem is with the 1116, but the few clients I have that actually need that form are always late filers, still waiting for brokerage forms, K-1's, etc at this stage.

Mike, I have been waiting on the 1116, too. KC suggested (on a previous thread) filling in the form on irs.gov with the numbers from our "draft" form and just printing that and attaching to return. I did that today for a client who keeps calling me, "What's taking so long?" Of course, client is paper filing.

It's a pain, and the ink is blue (what's that about?!), but the client was REALLY bugging me.

We should not have to be doing this, but I think it's the lesser of two evils. At least I got the client out of my hair. Hope this helps.

When client's are that demanding, I let them know that the more they call the further down the line their return goes. Don't let your clients run your practice.

When client's are that demanding, I let them know that the more they call the further down the line their return goes. Don't let your clients run your practice.

Yeah, you're right.

On the other hand, I kept looking at her pile of stuff (she likes the jumbo 15 x 20 envelopes), and decided I wanted it out of the office more than I wanted to flex. Plus, she is about a hundred (OK, 79) and is a real complainer. Still works at Wally World, and there's really no substitute for bad publicity, if you know what I mean. I could just hear her telling everybody there what a slacker I was, even though I explained to her that the form was not approved yet. And who knows when ATX will have the Form 1116 ready?

Also, when I assembled her return today, I realized that I had forgotten a lot of details about the return that I wanted to point out to her. I did the return about three weeks ago. Took a while to refresh my memory about all of those things. I really hate putting a return aside once I've started on it. I wish I had used the irs.gov form sooner, to be honest.

And, what if I were waiting on a form that I use a lot, say Sch C or Form 8863? Can you imagine the stress of not being able to finish half of your returns? The mountains of files laying around, the phone calls... OK, that's not a pretty image. Thank goodness it was just that one. Whew.

But that is exactly why the company puts more programmers on the most used forms, first. After all, this form is optional for the majority of those who have foreign taxes, and most of those who do need to use it are still waiting for their K-1s, etc. I've never had to wait long for any basic form, except the year that Congress changed them on Dec 26th. And that was not the software company's fault, and affected all software.

But that is exactly why the company puts more programmers on the most used forms, first. After all, this form is optional for the majority of those who have foreign taxes, and most of those who do need to use it are still waiting for their K-1s, etc. I've never had to wait long for any basic form, except the year that Congress changed them on Dec 26th. And that was not the software company's fault, and affected all software.

Yes, I know, and I'm glad. I was just saying that I'm glad I just had ONE otherwise complete return laying around for three weeks. Yes, clients need to chill out and not "run my practice." But, I downloaded that form from IRS for my sake as much as the client's.

I was just saying that IF it were a more common form, I'll betcha even the laid back preparers would want it to be ready for their OWN benefit. Nevermind if the client is a goober. It's easier for ME to finish what I start.

BTW, I don't think Form 1116 required extensive reprogramming.

You can elect not to file F 1116 if certain conditions are meet:

Passive income

Reported on 1099-DIV etc

Not over $300 ($600 MFJ)

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1116/ch01.html

Her foreign tax credit is $912.

Maybe she had all her broker statements cause she does them like she does me. Drop in every three days to check. Stays and chats for 30 minutes. Asks me every time: "Why do I have to pay intangibles tax to Tennessee?!"

Me: "Your dividends and capital gains distributions exceed $1250, and it's income tax..." I have a hard time telling a 79 year old widow to stay the heck out of my office... but I seriously want to...

Well, you have the form now. And I expect she visits you so much because she is lonely, RC. People that age have already lost most of their contemporaries, and now have to find someone who is willing to talk to them. Just remember, you will probably loss her soon, and then you will be sorry not to have her visit, once she dies. Think of it as a charitable deed, to give her a bit of your time. Maybe that will make it easier. I had one just like her, and now I miss her!

Well, you have the form now. And I expect she visits you so much because she is lonely, RC. People that age have already lost most of their contemporaries, and now have to find someone who is willing to talk to them. Just remember, you will probably loss her soon, and then you will be sorry not to have her visit, once she dies. Think of it as a charitable deed, to give her a bit of your time. Maybe that will make it easier. I had one just like her, and now I miss her!

Yeah, I think she still works because it gives her a chance to see people. I was thinking about her this morning in church. I think I'll invite her to come.