ATX Community

Seriously

Teri2414

Just had a client come in via grandma and say 'I'm not paying' she never did before..parents always did dependent return and all that..this on her own - weren't we warned about recovery rebate credit.... so filed return (without pay) with normal return...now complaining tha she got more back (yeah - I know) and then sends check stub with grandma from state refund.....uhmm..let me get this straight. You're refusing to pay because you got more money in your pocket than my initial info sheet said? Heaven forbid someone gets less due to intercepts!!!

Today's Mensa dropout: Lady had $11,500 on a W-2 with $260 FIT withheld. $6000 in self-employment.

What do you mean I owe? (Explain, explain, explain)

Why don't I get earned income credit?

Me: Well, your income is over $12,880.

No, it's not.

Me: Actually, $11,500 plus $6000 is more than $12,880.

Oh, that $11,500 is not taxable.

Me: Why is it reported on a W-2, and why were payroll taxes withheld on it?

She's gonna call and find out for me.

Got a new client today that had no withholding on her W-2 ($50,000 income). We checked with her and she said she noticed during the year that her direct deposit amount was "kinda high". Wondering what will happen now. I said you'll end up paying penalty and interest.

taxbilly