ATX Community

NT / My return is so easy

RitaB

From now on, and I did this today, my response to this is gonna be, "Well, yes, you should just do this yourself."

Wealthy lady came home from cruise, got my message that her return was ready. Return had retirement, Sch A, Sch B, Sch D (not bad), five entries on 8283, taxable SS. $100.

She says, "You know, I did my gardener's return for him, I really don't know why I don't do my own return myself. I guess I'm afraid I'll miss the taxable SS."

Me: "Oh, it's not that bad, really! Here's my worksheet, attached to your copy. You can do this, no problem. Hey, I hate to lose you, but I'm really overextending myself anyway."

I am REALLY tired of people who do this. They need me more than I need them.

My first thought was also, "What did she say?" and did she take it with her.

I love the ones who say "Now all you have to do is put the numbers in and let the computer do the work." This ALWAYS comes from a man with numerous investments, two Sch C's, HSA, Itemized deductions, Savers Credit, Gambling income; which always causes part of his SS to be taxed; and he has a wife who has a Real Job! So, the computer did all the work and he is finished and waiting to be picked up and filed. (No wonder my legs are itching and my chin is breaking out!)

Hi, Ladies, oh she does that to me EVERY year. She isn't hateful about it, and never says anything about the price, but I REALLY get tired of it. I charged $85 each for 2006 and 2007, and this year when I had to input five entries in that dadgum 8283, I thought, "Yep, I'm goin up!"

So, when I told her she COULD do it herself, she said, "No, I'm too afraid I'll make a mistake." She thanked me kindly when she left. I'm sure she'll be back.

Now I am wondering about the gardener. If she missed EIC, RRC, RE tax, SE?

My church "friend" who I have always charged $50, actually brought in his copy of the return he TRIED to e-file online and couldn't. Entered unemployment $1000, and it was $2450. Missed Sch SE for his wife's class she did on the side, entered 8 digits for bank routing #, three of which were not even correct, missed RE tax. This year I charged $75.

Regarding people who say the computer does all the work, don't you want to tell them: OK, you go buy a computer, and software, and a building, and insurance, and utilities... and set up shop yourself. If it's so easy, why are we bustin our butts right now to get it all done? Why isn't everybody doing this?

Argghhhh!

Actually, I have found the surest way to end that sort of comments is to look them straight in the face, pause briefly, and say in a very quite but serious voice, "Actually, I find that comment personally insulting. I study year-round to keep up with tax law so that I can do the best possible job for my clients, at considerable expense of time and money both." Then just wait. After a startled moment of embarrassment, the apology will pour out, in almost every case. If it does not, that will be the last return I do for that client. So far, the times I have used it, I've never had one not apologize. Or repeat anything like it ever again. And I only lost one client over doing that, in all my 37 years in business.

Oh, yeah, it also feels really good to do it !!!!!

Actually, I have found the surest way to end that sort of comments is to look them straight in the face, pause briefly, and say in a very quite but serious voice, "Actually, I find that comment personally insulting. I study year-round to keep up with tax law so that I can do the best possible job for my clients, at considerable expense of time and money both." Then just wait. After a startled moment of embarrassment, the apology will pour out, in almost every case. If it does not, that will be the last return I do for that client. So far, the times I have used it, I've never had one not apologize. Or repeat anything like it ever again. And I only lost one client over doing that, in all my 37 years in business.

Oh, yeah, it also feels really good to do it !!!!!

I had a client years ago come in to have his sale of property handled, and then he proceeded to tell how it should be handled, which was wrong, but more favorable to him. Piece of property was business, investment and residential (all at once). I said I could not file it that way, and I pushed the papers back to him and said "If you want it prepared that way, you take it and prepare it, because I cannot." He picked up his papers and left with his wife, and they talked a short distance from our preparation center at the time. Eventually, he and his wife came back and asked if I would prepare it correctly. Which I did, and did her return for many years after he had passed away. Nothing more was ever said about how it should be done, and I got a good fee for it over the years. You have to stand firm when you are right or they will not trust you.

this is from a person that was on the old ATX community, I think his name is Richard Ogg, at least that what his profile said

" Tax software is No Substitue for Tax Knowledge" I have this on a small card on my desk, when they, the clients, start about how easy, computer does it, etc. I just make a small jester towards the little card, they pause read it and then let me get on with my job.