ATX Community

Cir 230 language for correspondence

Janitor Bob

IRS Circular 230 Notice: To ensure compliance with requirements

imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained

in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended

or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of

avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal

Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax provisions.

This message and any attachment contain information that may

be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or

authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy,

print or disclose to anyone the message or any information

contained in the message. If you have received this e-mail in error,

please advise the sender by reply and delete the message. Thank you.

I know there is language that can be placed on correspondence that basically states that you cannot use anything in the correspndence as tax advice relied upon to avoid penalties...blah, blah, blah"

Does anybody have that handy...could you post it, please?

Mine is shorter:

IRS CIRCULAR 230 Disclosure: Under U.S. Treasury regulations, we are required to inform you that any tax advice contained in this e-mail or any attachment hereto is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

I have an accountant friend here in town who refuses to put the statement on his emails. He says he is in business to help his clients avoid penalties.

Mine is shorter:

IRS CIRCULAR 230 Disclosure: Under U.S. Treasury regulations, we are required to inform you that any tax advice contained in this e-mail or any attachment hereto is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

I have an accountant friend here in town who refuses to put the statement on his emails. He says he is in business to help his clients avoid penalties.

Thanks to both of you!

I rather like this one:

Circular 230 disclosure - penalties, what penalties? You mean to tell me that there are such things as penalties? Well sling my arrows of outrageous misfortune - what will they think of next? Don't rely on me to avoid penalties - I'm unreliable in that regard.

I stole this one from another preparer who is very polite:

IMPORTANT IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, this notice is to advise you that any federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

IMPORTANT CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail by forwarding this to sender or by telephone at (203) 557-0909 and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving them in any manner. Thank you.

And there is this one:

And who has time for Circular 230 nonsense this time of year much less Section 7216 disclosure crap. Don't rely on anything I write, think, speak or gesticulate to avoid penalties - rely on yourself and stand up to the fascist threat Circular 230 poses. (and yeah, this probably expresses my contempt for all such "regulation" both in its intent and in the extra, unnecessary, and wholy ridiculous effect it has on me, you, and our clients, to say nothing of the various landfills into which all such dead tree matter undoubtedly makes its way - so sue me.)

And there is this one:

And who has time for Circular 230 nonsense this time of year much less Section 7216 disclosure crap. Don't rely on anything I write, think, speak or gesticulate to avoid penalties - rely on yourself and stand up to the fascist threat Circular 230 poses. (and yeah, this probably expresses my contempt for all such "regulation" both in its intent and in the extra, unnecessary, and wholy ridiculous effect it has on me, you, and our clients, to say nothing of the various landfills into which all such dead tree matter undoubtedly makes its way - so sue me.)

Isn't that what Tom Stava said. He has the greatest Circular 230 statements ever.