ATX Community

Anybody else having problems with Schedule D?

samingeorgia

I'm doing a return for an older couple. They have some income from pension, W-2, interest, etc. and a capital gain on Schedule D. For some reason Line 43 (taxable income) has a balance under $ 1,000 so 10% bracket. But line 44 shows zero tax. If I open the worksheet there is an "X" in capital gain worksheet but no amount. The regular tax shows on the first line but everything else is zero.

I update frequently, and have discarded the return and started over with the same result. I called support yesterday morning and they had me transmit the return to them, but no response yet.

Any ideas?

The current ordinary income tax rates for individuals are 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, and 35%. Certain capital gains and qualified dividends (i.e., adjusted net capital gains) are taxed at 15%, or 5% for taxpayers in the 15% or 10% tax brackets. Pursuant to the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003 (JGTRRA) and extended by the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 (TIPRA), the 5% rate drops to 0% from 2008 to 2010. In 2011, these rates will sunset and revert to the pre-2001 rates of 15%, 28%, 31%, 36%, and 39.6%. Qualified dividend income (i.e., dividends from most domestic corporations and certain qualified foreign corporations) will lose its favorable status, and capital gains rates will revert to pre-2003 rates, generally 20% (10% for gains in the 15% bracket) and the special five-year holding period rules.