ATX Community

Passive Loss Carryovers not carrying over

Slippery Pencil

watch out for NOL's not carrying forward either. And for IL returns the NOL deduction is not flowing to IL, so IL income is too high. Needs to be manually adjusted for now.

I also have a problem that my preparers info is not loading into any return, new or rollover. I have to readd it each time by going to the preparers tab.

I have done that so often it is not even funny.

Even had tech support go through it with me. I check it, change it then apply and even restart the software. And next time the preparer info is once again NONE!!!

Been using this software for years and never had this problem before. Also finally gave up on wasting my time calling tech support as it is faster to just click the preparer under the preparer tab.

Client has a K1 from a 1065. In 2007 there was a passive loss carryforward into 2008. The 2008 program is not picking up the loss carryforward. Prior years programs carried this forward. Why is it not being carried forward into 2008? Is this just another programming "improvement" as ATX calls them?

Have you reported this to the programers by posting to the 'Suggestion Box'?

Have you reported this to the programers by posting to the 'Suggestion Box'?

I posted my question to this board while on phone to tech support. I also posted to the suggestion box while on the phone. After checking with the programmers the technician informed me that they did change the program so as to not bring forward the carryover. Another great improvement by ATX. The ineptness of the programming amazes me.

I had the same problem back about 2003 with ATX. I finally bought Tax Act for about $ 99.00 in order to handle K-1 loss carry-overs into a year that had passive K-1 gains. ATX just handled the gains and did not deduct the prior losses.

I tried several programs and Tax Act, Lacerte and ProSeries all did it OK. Other programs did not handle it properly, including the program I use now -- which may or may not handle it correctly now, but I believe it would do it now.

I had the same problem back about 2003 with ATX. I finally bought Tax Act for about $ 99.00 in order to handle K-1 loss carry-overs into a year that had passive K-1 gains. ATX just handled the gains and did not deduct the prior losses.

I tried several programs and Tax Act, Lacerte and ProSeries all did it OK. Other programs did not handle it properly, including the program I use now -- which may or may not handle it correctly now, but I believe it would do it now.

and what do you use now?

Atticus,

I remember that happening and you complaining about it back then. The program didn't carry forward the passive losses at that time. It was after that time that they started carrying over the losses (possibly due to your complaining). I know the 2005, 6, & 7 program all carried forward the losses. As is way too typical for this company, they have once again removed functionality from the program while increasing the price. There is no excuse for the poor programming decisions this company makes.