ATX Community

New computer

Terry O

Ok - -soooooooo apparently, my 6 yr old computer has a virus that is not going away - - -broke down & bought a new one - - -

I know I have seen how to do this, but I do not have time to try to search - - -

So, can someone explain the process of getting the info OFF the XP & ON to the new Vista program - - before I really screw things up??

This NEVER happens - -in - -like JULY!!!!!

THANK YOU !!!!

The procedure I followed a couple weeks ago:

a) install ATX on the new computer

B) find the ATX2008 folder and rename the Database folder to Database.OLD (or just delete Database if you're brave enough)

c) copy the Database folder from the old computer

That got the returns over. I did have some problems when I reinstalled the 2007 program that it didn't seem to have the most up-to-date forms, so I also copied over the Masters folder from old computer to new computer.

Good luck,

Bill

A couple of years back I moved to a new computer. Installed the ATX years I wanted on the new computer. On old computer, did an export of returns for a year to a flash drive. Then, on new computer did a import. Repeated for the years I wanted to move. Was quick and easy. Good luck. (NOT backup/restore.)

A couple of years back I moved to a new computer. Installed the ATX years I wanted on the new computer. On old computer, did an export of returns for a year to a flash drive. Then, on new computer did a import. Repeated for the years I wanted to move. Was quick and easy. Good luck. (NOT backup/restore.)

I either tried an Import or a Restore, don't remember which... whatever I did, the e-file information did not come over. I don't believe the method I did is supported by Tech Support, but someone else had tried this and it worked for them. I have had no problems with returns since this move. If Import works for you, great.

Bill

This happened to me in February. I paid a good computer guy $85/hour to move all tax files/programs from old computer to new computer. It took him 3 hours, but it was worth it. I used the time to do some basis adjustments, etc., that I would calculate by hand anyway. I'm not very computer savvy. In hindsight, I could have saved some $$ if I had installed all the old ATX versions on the new computer myself (from old atx discs), run 'update program' for each one, and just had the computer guy move the files. Probably would have saved at least 1 hour of time.