ATX Community

ATX help doing sales tax

michaelmars

can someone please explain the right way to do sales tax in ATX. In NY it is quarterly so do i create 4 returns or one master that gets updated or what. It seems silly to have to create the client each quarter with name address etc. there must be a way to roll from qtr to qtr that i can't find.

can someone please explain the right way to do sales tax in ATX. In NY it is quarterly so do i create 4 returns or one master that gets updated or what. It seems silly to have to create the client each quarter with name address etc. there must be a way to roll from qtr to qtr that i can't find.

Mike, we create the first return and then we use the rollover function to create the succeeding returns. On the rollover manager, look for the tab that says "last month/quarter". The return will be there ready to be rolled over.

We then rename the return, using Q1, Q2, etc.

Maribeth

You could also open the form repeatedly in the same client file. The software will prompt you to append the name of the second and successive forms, which would enable you to name each quarter separately. This will enable you to keep the separate quarters in the return manager for a given client.

DOES THAT LEAVE Each quarter in the program manager so i can view or reprint them later or does the rollover, override the previous qtr?

Mike, using the rollover function will retain each quarter as a separate file. For instance, if the first file is Quarter 1, when you roll over to Quarter 2, ATX will create another file. We rename that file to Q2, and then for Q3, we will rollover the Q2 file. That way you are keeping all quarters.

Maribeth

That's odd.

I just checked my NC Sales Tax Report for a client, which is filed monthly. I opened another report, renamed the tab, entered Jan for the month, closed the client, and reopened. The Jan tab still showed a Jan report and the Feb tab showed a Feb report. Either there's something different about the way the system handles the NC reports or there's been a change in the way the system handles the multiple tabs since you last tried it. (I also looked at the "Preferences" but couldn't spot anything that addresses this).

I just print paper reports for my files and don't use the feature I described, but I was fairly sure it worked this way because it never automatically updates my 941's when I open them for a new quarter.

Follow-up: Maybe mine works differently for some reason because I use Zillion Forms as a separate module.