ATX Community

EIC Calculating Incorrectly

Terry D EA

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I did my son's return and he received a notice from the IRS the EIC was calculated incorrectly. All of the figures the IRS proposed matched mine except for the EIC. I will be calcualting this manually to see if the program is calculating correctly or the IRS has made a mistake.

The difference is 169.00 which is an odd figure. Any suggestions?

Terry D.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I did my son's return and he received a notice from the IRS the EIC was calculated incorrectly. All of the figures the IRS proposed matched mine except for the EIC. I will be calcualting this manually to see if the program is calculating correctly or the IRS has made a mistake.

Terry D.

I haven't had any clients report any letters from IRS concerning EIC errors. Want to put up some figures to go by?

Hope you're having a good season!!

Eli

Terry D.

As suggested, some figures would be helpful, however I have seen some pretty strange things happening with IRS this year, and I do in all honestly think they have a computer problem.

Deb!

I had a family, 2 daughters in college, 17 year old son, small job & $16000 in social security, and mother. Son's SS is survivorship benefit from deceased father. I checked the rebate #'s on the IRS site for the mother and according to all the computations, no further amt. to be claimed. Son wasn't on mother's return last year, no job, only the SS and wasn't claimed as a dependent, so I computed the $300 for the son for this year. Well, the mother got an additional $300 (son wasn't claimed on her return for 08, either-she only makes $20k), and the son didn't get his $300. Is there any logic in that?

AnnieR