ATX Community

Inherited IRA not on ATX 1040 pg 1

RJM

Every year I fill out an inherited IRA 1099R input screen for a client, mark it as code 4 (death), and mark it as "inherited IRA" in the checkbox. But it never appears as taxable on pg 1 of the 1040. So I just override the line on form 1040. What am I doing wrong?

I just noticed that if I check the "Inherited IRA" checkbox on the 1099-R, but NOT the "IRA/SEP" checkbox, the distribution does appear as taxable on pg 1 of 1040, but in the wrong line. It appears in the Pensions and Annuities line, not the IRA line. Anyone think this is how it is supposed to appear? I always assumed it should be appearing on the IRA line just above the Pension line.

This happens every year.. I think it is safe to assume the program is just sending the amount to the wrong line on pg 1 of 1040. It's one line below where it should be, and very easy to miss when reviewing the return..... Gotta get back to return prep now, but will check in later if anyone has another idea. Thanks !

That's funny, because I have an inherited IRA and it always shows up taxable on the IRA line. Do they have an 8606 in the return? I put in amount in box 1, taxable in box 2 and check IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box and Inherited IRA box. Shows up on line 15b since for me, taxable is same as gross. And I just opened my return and looked at it and it is there on line 15.

I had a client this year who had six inherited IRAs from his brother. They all went to line 15b as taxable with no penalty. I just checked the return. Each one had to be entered separately. Just looked at the 1099s and they all say "Taxable Amount Not Determined." They are coded 4 with the IRA box checked.

Hi all.. after fooling around with various possible entries on the 1099-R for inherited IRA, and with the form 8606, I am convinced that the program never considered a situation like this taxpayer's, namely: every year an inherited IRA distribution (IRA with 0 basis), and every year a non-deductible IRA contribution reported on form 8606. The program is trying to combine the IRA's, unaware that the basis of inherited IRAs must be kept separate from all basis calc's on regular IRAs.

This particular year, taxpayer also has a large rollover to report on 16a of 1040, so I decided not to use KC's method, because it adds the inherited IRA distribution on line 16 and is more difficult for the taxpayer to trace his transactions when reviewing his return. So I will go back to the old method of just entering an override on line 15b.

At some point the inherited IRA transactions will become more commonplace, and then I would hope this to be programmed correctly. After thinking about it, there are so many different possibilities for the inherited/regular contribution/distribution transactions, that the programming would be really messy. I would think that prosystems fx or ultra tax would handle this, but not the lower-cost programs like ATX. But I still like ATX better......

I was unaware that basis tracking from inherited IRAs was kept separate from the rest of your traditional IRAs. Of course that could be why they ask you if it is inherited. You might want to check the 8606s and make sure the basis hasn't been subtracted each year.