ATX Community

IRS audit

cpabsd

I spoke with the agent this past week and asked if we could delay the audit until after April 15. He was most uncooperative. I really am swamped and do not have time to deal with him until after April 15. I don't want to tick him off before the audit begins but feels he is being unreasonable. I am a sole proprietor and he wants me to drop everything for a 2006 audit?? Do I have any options?

As it says in this publication on page 2, you have a right to choose a time and place convenient for you.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1.pdf

I worked for HRB for six years and represented many clients before the IRS in that time because I was the only Enrolled Agent they had. I have been in my own business for over thirty years and have represented hundreds of clients. I have never had a problem rescheduling an audit. What you should do is contact the auditor's supervisor and tell him of your problem. Don't worry about the agent. You will handle this in a professional manner and his/her supervisor will probably want to know from the agent why a change of time and/or location wasn't immediately granted.

taxbilly

this should not be a problem but if it is and you are in a different area than the client, just request a change in irs offices handling the audit, that stalls it for a few months. i often switch between long island vs nyc offices handling an audit depending on the circumstance.. i have even had audits lost in the shuffle one i requested the change and never heard about it again.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I called the auditor again and he finally agreed to postponing until April 20. I explained to him what life is like for me this time of year. I am a one person shop and he finally gave in although I could tell he did not want to. Thanks again to all who responded. I may have more questions as I go through this process. It is definetly unchartered territory for me.

I requested an audit be switched from the Boca Raton office (about 150 miles south of me) to one in my area. Took two years before they contacted me about it. I said I would provide documentation so that the auditor could close out the account quickly if he didn't want to go through the trouble of an office audit. He agreed, I submitted the info and he made it a no change audit.

taxbilly