ATX Community

HOPE EDUCATION TAX CREDIT

Edward

Have new client - they have one child attending college who is 20. He also took a professional bartending class in

2007 and both the college tuition and the 850.00 fee forteh bartending class were combined and he was given the

Hope Tax Credit on the combined figures. Is there something wrong with this? Would the bartending class be considered a Hobby type class and therefore not qualify for the Education Credit? Like to get your thoughts on this. Thanks.

And as long as the class was offered by an accredited institution as part of a regular course of study, it would have qualified. Most students get to take at least a few elective classes that may pertain to hobby-type activities (my sister took bowling, I took a water safety instructor class) and yet they would be included as part of the tuition for the year.

I know this is kind of pushing the envelope, but when I wanted to bartend many years ago, you had to be certified and take a class to learn how to check ID's and all that fun stuff. If a state inspector came into the bar and you didn't have that class to become a certified bartender, the owner could get a fine. Just my input. Thanks

Sara