ATX Community

Another ATX oddity - warning to all

Catherine

Hi all --

Whenever I have any questions as I'm doing a return, I mark the item as estimated. That way, when I do my error checks, it lists any that I've forgotten.

Twice today I noted a new twist: a couple of clients had interest income and dividend income entries for last year that were missing this year. So I put $1 in the fields noted those amounts as estimates while I was getting info from the clients as to whether those accounts were closed or information was missing.

Got word back that accounts had indeed been closed, so I could delete those items. When I deleted ONE item, ALL items in the detail and input screens that had been marked as estimates were no longer marked as such.

Not good!! It makes me wonder if there are other instances of items that were estimates that escaped my review because the tags were gone.

So be warned -- your estimates might not be tagged as such if you have deleted any other items.

Catherine

Thanks for warning us. So if you turn off the 'estimate' tag before you delete, does that protect the other tags? Like you, I use that to tag items I want to ask about.

I just tried this. If you undo the estimate tag, the other tags are protected IF THEY ARE EARLIER IN THE DETAIL LISTING. If they come later, the tag is lost.

I wonder if this is actually a problem with the order the items come in?

Catherine