ATX Community

Aflac

michaelmars

Aflac is a company/brand/duck name, not a specific type of deduction/payroll item. There can be pre-tax items (Sect 125) as well as after tax items in what sometimes is referred to as "Aflac" deductions. Check with the plan provider/adviser/documents as well as the individual employee records.

I know this is not much help...

ITS PRETAX STUFF ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS POLICIES BUT I AM NOT SURE IF THEY ARE SUBJECT TO FICA.

Mike, if it is pretax, then it is not subject to FICA. It is just like any other §125 plan. And I might add that other than my AAA auto insurance, Alfac is the best insurance I have. A great company and great plans.

Maribeth

Marilyn, most insurance agents are self-employed. And if they do not make a killing on those policies, that means the price of the policy is more reasonable. So it depends on whether you are a buyer or a seller as to how you see it. I tend to beware of the policies that the agents love! They love the ones that make THEM the most money, after all.

If the policy is pre-tax, paid by the employer, the benefits will be taxable when paid. If after-tax, paid by the employee, then tax-free when paid. So it's possible to be either, and both ways have pros and cons.