ATX Community

Now that the busiest part of tax-filing season is over...

Wayne Brasch

Now that the busiest part of tax-filing season is over, some of us who have experienced very slow, inefficient computer operations may want to go to http://www.iobit.com. On that website they have a free item called Advanced SystemCare Free and another called Advanced SystemCare Pro. There is a fee in order to download the Pro version, but it does a better job of cleaning up an inefficient computer system. In each of them, you can just click on the Care! button in the middle of the interface and watch the program work. The free version does an adequate job, but does not have all the features of the other. Both of them work in the background to keep your computer tuned up. They both can and should be updated periodically to obtain the latest version just as do our tax programs. You might want to try these and see what you think. I started out with the free version and then upgraded to the more advanced model about a year or so ago. I never have any problem with slow opening programs as some of you have described in this forum. I have nothing to do with this website nor their programs except that I'm a happy user of the Pro version as I have already described. Try it and see what you think!

Wayne Brasch

I also use this program, the pro version, and have been very satisfied with it. They also have a free program called smart defrag that I run two or three times a day which keeps my computer lean and mean.

taxbilly

TAXBILLY,

I'm thinking Smart Defrag is a component of the Pro version of Advanced SystemCare.

Wayne Brasch

Another application that will get and keep one's computer running efficiently can be gotten at http://www.ccleaner.com. This program used to have been named Crap Cleaner, but that first word offended enough people that Piriform, the developers, now just call it CCleaner. It does its job very quickly. Try it and see if it works for you. It does for me-and it's free besides that!

Wayne Brasch

Now that the busiest part of tax-filing season is over, some of us who have experienced very slow, inefficient computer operations may want to go to http://www.iobit.com. On that website they have a free item called Advanced SystemCare Free and another called Advanced SystemCare Pro. There is a fee in order to download the Pro version, but it does a better job of cleaning up an inefficient computer system. In each of them, you can just click on the Care! button in the middle of the interface and watch the program work. The free version does an adequate job, but does not have all the features of the other. Both of them work in the background to keep your computer tuned up. They both can and should be updated periodically to obtain the latest version just as do our tax programs. You might want to try these and see what you think. I started out with the free version and then upgraded to the more advanced model about a year or so ago. I never have any problem with slow opening programs as some of you have described in this forum. I have nothing to do with this website nor their programs except that I'm a happy user of the Pro version as I have already described. Try it and see what you think!

Wayne Brasch

Thanks Wayne. I very much respect your opinions. Question, please: I'm finished with Norton...had enough! What virus protection do you use/recommend?

Thanks,

Cathy

Thanks Wayne. I very much respect your opinions. Question, please: I'm finished with Norton...had enough! What virus protection do you use/recommend?

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathy,

Thank you for your comment. For antivirus protection, I use AVG Anti-Virus Free. Their website is at http://free.avg.com. That program is updated several times a day to keep up with changes in virus threats. Notice it's free, also!

Wayne Brasch

I have had the last five of my computers built by my local Geek who also does a weekly radio show. There is no extra stuff on them. He puts on AVG and uses it himself.

For those ubiquitous cookies, I learned, probably from someone here, to self screen. That is, I go to Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Sites and specify which ones I will allow. Whenever one comes up that isn't on the list, I am prompted to allow or block that cookie. I nearly always block. Occasionally I have to add a site in order to complete a registration online or some such activity, but this has really cut down things discovered when I do the virus scan or use Ad Aware or Spybot.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne Brasch

Thanks for the tip. It has really helped both of our computers. Started with the free version and just moved up to the "pro" version.

Jerry