ATX Community

Section 179

Terry O

I guess I was just trying to make the Sec 179 election, and have it actually compute on the 1065 instead of overriding it, which has been my practice in the past, since there is no documentation on the actual PRGRAM - -not the tax rules, but the PROGRAM.

I have entered all the asset info, trying to make the election to expense the asset out in 1 year, however, I am totally missing something, all combination of entries still do NOT transfer to the form as a 179 expense.

this has been a source of technical confusion for me ever since I have been with ATX - -especially the year they made the depreciation a separate module - - -

Thank you guys anyways - - maybe you can't teach on old dog new tricks!!!

Terry, the §179 deduction is passed out separately on the K-1. Are you looking for it on Page 1 of the 1065? It won't be there. Also, there cannot be a loss in the partnership in order to take the §179 deduction. Maybe that could be the problem . . .

Maribeth

Maribeth is correct. The 179 cannot be taken on the 1065. It is distributed equally to the partners and shows up on the Sch E page 2 as a subtraction from Partnership Income. (After it flows correctly from the K-1).

We all have those blind moments. It is 7:30 AM here. I worked at my part-time job til 8:30 last night and had a fool client just show up with some paperwork he was supposed to drop off on Monday. I am afraid that I was not very polite.