ATX Community

ATX Document Manager

Eli

It comes with the TTO package, but I would not actually pay extra for it, because it has some strange quirks you have to look out for. For example, if you 'print' your preparer copy to the PDF button, and you have Doc Manager installed, it prints to that. Makes the files [directory tree] automatically, which is nice. BUT if you then change something, and go to re-save the return, watch out. If you just replace that first copy, as is a normal thing to do, you end up with an empty file. It's there, but all you have in it are blank pages. You have to delete the old copy, or else modify the name of the new one, to get a good copy. Highly irritating IMHO.

It comes with the TTO package, but I would not actually pay extra for it, because it has some strange quirks you have to look out for. For example, if you 'print' your preparer copy to the PDF button, and you have Doc Manager installed, it prints to that. Makes the files [directory tree] automatically, which is nice. BUT if you then change something, and go to re-save the return, watch out. If you just replace that first copy, as is a normal thing to do, you end up with an empty file. It's there, but all you have in it are blank pages. You have to delete the old copy, or else modify the name of the new one, to get a good copy. Highly irritating IMHO.

Same thing happens even without the document manager -- print to PDF first time just fine. After that, blank files unless the original has been deleted by hand before the new file is written. I'd been assuming it was my PDF writer causing this problem. Perhaps there is something else going on -- I currently do NOT have the document manager, and I use pdf995 to write to pdf. But I get the same error as KC mentions. Could this be an issue with pdf's in general?

Perhaps one of our VMSUS friends can answer this question?

And yes, KC -- how is your husband doing? Last we heard, it was "somewhat better", if I recall correctly.

Catherine

Hi Eli,

I *still* rely upon Visioneer PaperPort v.6 to "manage documents," ever since I went paperless in 2005 -- even though I've been TTO since before then. The 'beauty' of this app is it can produce graphic-files in a rather huge variety of formats.

In my case, I turn everything into TIF files -- as Windows Office 2003's "basic" package includes the 'reader' necessary to access TIF files -- that also are *much* smaller than pdf's. (Caveat: clients using Linux and Apple OS have a problem with TIF files -- but not with pdf's.)

1) The biggest problem with any particular vendor's doc-mgr app is its *proprietary* software -- e.g., what happens if that vendor disappears? I'm confident in 'betting the farm' that Microsoft & Adobe will be around forever-enough for Statute-of-Limitations concerns.

2) The basic architecture of Windows Explorer's "folders" affords more than enough structure for me to save client's files/documents in 'places' I not only hardly can forget, but also have the native Windows "Search" function to find -- when & if I have (and, indeed, have done).

So, overall, I advise you to pay nothing to get ATX Document Manager. If you have at least Adobe Acrobat v.6 and Visioneer PaperPort of the same vintage -- and are 'comfortable' with arranging your information in conformity with Windows' "folders" scheme, you really need not transmogrify your practice to become paperless -- and happily so.

Very truly yours, TaxCPANY

Anyone using this program? Has it been helpful in your office?

Thanks!

Eli

TaxCPANY,

Thanks for the info. I am technologically challenged, so It takes me a while to get a hang of things. I will definitely look into the way you do this. I have 3 fairly large filing cabinets at my home office I would love to get rid of. I am just going through files now to see what I need & don't need. I figure this would make things easier once I make the decision to go paperless.

Thank you so much again for your assistance.

Eli

Eli, if, at my advanced age, I can do this, so can you! I follow pretty much the same procedure as TaxCPANY using PaperPort 11, Adobe Pro and the Windows file/folder scheme. I back up daily to an external hard drive (kept in a fire proof safe) and will be burning cd's of all files beginning in June to keep in my safe deposit box. I intend to replace them annually to have current files on current media. I have already transferred the important zip drive backups to the hard drive for cd preparation.

It's great to not have all those paper files around. I also make sure I send pdf copies of reports and filed returns and acknowlegements/acceptances of all types to my clients. They can choose to print if they like.

Good luck!