ATX Community

IL Corporation Scam

ILLMAS

I just wanted to share this with everyone in IL, one of my client recieved a letter that is a scam. Here is the alert from the IL Secretary of State:

WARNING! A non-governmental firm called "Illinois Corporate Compliance" is contacting Illinois businesses in an attempt to collect a $150 fee to file corporate meeting minutes. Please be aware that corporations are NOT required by law to file minutes with ANY government or private entity. It is recommended that corporations do NOT reply to the solicitation

I just wanted to share this with everyone in IL, one of my client recieved a letter that is a scam. Here is the alert from the IL Secretary of State:

WARNING! A non-governmental firm called "Illinois Corporate Compliance" is contacting Illinois businesses in an attempt to collect a $150 fee to file corporate meeting minutes. Please be aware that corporations are NOT required by law to file minutes with ANY government or private entity. It is recommended that corporations do NOT reply to the solicitation

we've had this going on for years in California. If you look at the form real closely it says that it is a soliciation and that there is no connection between them and the secreatary of state. First time I saw it, it took me by suprise. I had no real experience with Corps, but I had never read anything about filing your minutes, just that you needed to keep them and present them if asked.

Deb!

I have seen numerous letters from a company here in Alabama warning employers of fines they will be charged if they don't have certain posters posted in their work places informing employees of their unemployment rights. They offer to provide the posters for a price, but the posters can be obtained from the Department of Industrial Relations at no charge. Whenever one of my clients call be about it, I tell them to throw the letter in the trash can.

Expect to see this in more states soon, as any time the con men come up with a new 'angle' they quickly spread it to more locations. This is the same sort of thing that used to be done by mail. Remember the bogus 'Yellow page ad renewal notices" that used to be so common? You had to look hard to see the notice in tiny print "This is a solicitation"

As long as suckers will fall for these things, con artists will continue to use them. The electronic age just makes it easier for them to spread them far and wide.

Of course not. Because they still work. Some people still send a check without ever doing more than glancing at the 'bill'. As long as it is profitable to print them up and send them out, they will continue. Because they have been taken to court a few times, but the are actually "legal" as long as they do print up a 'phone book' with the ads, and distribute them in the area, whether it is worthless or not.