ATX Community

JoA Software Reviews

Monkeyman

It was interesting that for all the sound and fury, so few ATX respondents planned to change programs. I guess, like a lot of us here, they got over it, if the end of the community was even noticed by them. Or, they just looked at the rest of the choices, and then said that, for them, ATX fitted their needs best, anyway. I know that was my route.

It was interesting that for all the sound and fury, so few ATX respondents planned to change programs. I guess, like a lot of us here, they got over it, if the end of the community was even noticed by them. Or, they just looked at the rest of the choices, and then said that, for them, ATX fitted their needs best, anyway. I know that was my route.

It makes CCH look pretty smart that they bought ATX when 90% plus of the client list they bought is planning to stay. They probably thought it was going to be less retention than that, but hey, with the concentration between the big three providers, they probably figured they would get a fair share to switch to one of their other products anyway.

I am still waiting for Melvin to release his software. I want to be the first customer.

Tom

Lodi, CA

• 2 weeks later...

We'll see what happens next year. This year's pricing change was just a few bucks; next year or the year after I expect them to send out the usual corporate BS about how they're "helping us" by increasing the price, reducing features, or canceling ATX-MAX and switching us to the Universal Tax product line that they bought. I forget the name of that software.

??? Tell us about it. Sounds ineresting. This is the first I have heard of it, or are we just hoping?

Gene

A couple of months ago there was a string where Melvin mentioned he had thought about writing a new tax program. He intimated that he probably could. Some posters on the board went so far as to say they would invest if he were to really attempt it.

I am sure it would be a lot of work, but if Melvin ever decided to write a tax program, I would buy it (providing it had all the CA functionality).

It is my hope that he would do this, but only Melvin can tell you if it is a potential reality.

Tom

Lodi, CA

A couple of months ago there was a string where Melvin mentioned he had thought about writing a new tax program. He intimated that he probably could. Some posters on the board went so far as to say they would invest if he were to really attempt it.

I am sure it would be a lot of work, but if Melvin ever decided to write a tax program, I would buy it (providing it had all the CA functionality).

It is my hope that he would do this, but only Melvin can tell you if it is a potential reality.

Tom

Lodi, CA

If he does, I would most certainly check into it.

Gene

Tom

Lodi, CA

The reality is that it is too late in the season to get a program out for this year. Initially I worked on it mainly thinking that ATX was getting blown out by the competition. When I realized that wasn't really the case, I didn't work as hard on it as I am still hoping ATX will survive as a distinct entity, I certainly don't want to be competing against my friends up in Maine.

>>90% plus of the client list they bought is planning to stay<<

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this survey has very little to do with their client list. The sample is well below 1% of ATX users, and even within the study itself 19 out of 20 respondents aren't buying the product.

Of course, any time you see statistics you have to put them in context. First of all, self-selected respondents are always a non-representative sample. And in this case, the study was of AICPA members, who are certainly not ATX's main target. Members who use it are all in small or local offices; maybe tax work is not a major part of their practice so they are satisfied with software that is universally rejected by regional operations that obviously have different needs.

I think one of the most interesting numbers is in Exhibit 5. More than 10% of these ATX users buy it primarily for business returns. Only two other programs sport such a distinction--and one of them is the other CCH product! That's something to think about looking forward. Is ATX a great backup choice for the occasional entity in a 1040 shop, or is CCH competing against itself?

Well, what about that 90% customer loyalty? In this group, ATX does have a bit of an edge but most other users are similarly satisfied with their current software. Those who aren't, do not think ATX is any better according to Exhibit 3B. And that's another fact CCH must be brooding over.