ATX Community

Marketing, marketing, marketing

imjulier

Hey there-

I'm just thinking about ways to move my practice from 80% individual/20% business to exactly the opposite. I'm struggling to figure out how to reach the small businesses with 1-10 employees and $500K - $5M in revenues. I'm thinking about putting together a letter introducing myself and then hand-delivering it to businesses in office buildings or office parks that don't take up the whole building (they are not a huge corporation). Does anyone have any other ideas or has anyone tried this to know if this ever yields any clients?

Thanks,

Julie

Are you a member of the local chamber of commerce or any civic groups - most small business owners, in my area, are members of the Chamber and at least one civic club. Also you could meet with the local banks so that they get to know you better. Hope this helps.

I would try to discover a common thread or problem, "business plans for hard times", "how to have a cash surplus when the bank won't loan you money", etc. Devise a solution and offer a free seminar to those specific businesses. Get the names, etc form the BBB. Chamber, mail house, and then follow-up by phone to confirm attendance. Don't try to sign them up at the seminar, however, have a company brochure available for every one that attends in the packet of materials that goes with your presentation. Follow-up a week later with a phone call to "get their response to the seminar. If there is any way I can help you in the future, just give me a call."

Join everything where you have an interest. There are local networking groups for small business owners, such BNI, to breakfast together and get to know one another. Let everyone you meet know that you specialize in small business taxes, tax planning, etc. Over time, I've gotten clients from church, from my broker, and from a lawyer at church, as well as from existing clients and friends. Make sure you tell your existing clients, both businesses and individuals, that you are taking new business clients. Make personal calls on your local small businesses to meet the owner, give your 30-second elevator speech, and leave a brochure and business card. Host an open house at your location, inviting business owners. Love the idea from Mike about a targeted seminar. Talk to your banker, too; new businesses opening accounts might ask him/her for referrals to a good tax man. See if you can display your brochures/cards there, too.

MAMalody's idea of delivering a brochure of some sorts and then doing a "follow up" call works well. From a business stand point, especially back in the day with ATX, that is where A LOT of our sales revenue came from. Most people enjoy that follow up call. Use it to your benefit as a tool to gather information as well. A good way to start the conversation out would be to just simply say, "I wanted to follow up with you to see what you thought about the seminar. Was it informative, was it what you expected, etc. etc." From that you can direct the tone of everything.

Good luck with it all and if you need some help, let me know. I will offer advice where I can.

You can do a seminar with another professional in a complimentary service. Maybe a broker or realtor or banker or lawyer (estate or marital or...) or a SSA staffer or.... Have a theme, such as new tax laws or women & money or retirement planning or small business..., and bring in a non-competing pro to flesh out the topic.