ATX Community

Did CCH take Ohio City returns out of MAX?

Jack from Ohio

I got this just a few minutes ago...

Dear ATXer,

If you prepare Ohio individual tax returns, then you know how difficult it can be to allocate income among the many taxing jurisdictions in Ohio. This task can add hours to the job of preparing a return for someone with income in multiple Ohio locations.

Well, we have a solution for you. It's the new ATX Ohio Cities package, a unique program that does all the hard work of allocating income and credits among Ohio jurisdictions. Here's what it can do for you:

• ">Automatically carry federal and state income data to the appropriate Ohio municipal returns.

• >Automatically calculate municipal tax liabilities or credits for up to 75 cities on one return.

• >Credits flow to forms OH RITA 37, OH CCA or the OH General City form.

• >Create as many OH General City forms as necessary based on resident city information.

• >Effectively prepare and file returns in all necessary Ohio local jurisdictions.

• >Check local returns for errors and flag additional entries that may be needed.

Just install this powerful new software along with your ATX tax preparation program and the rest is easy.

Call 800-944-8883 today to order this new program for only $199. Or order it online here Either way, we'll ship it to you with your 2007 tax year program in late November.

Questions? Give us a call and we'll be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

Your Total Satisfaction Team

PS – If you haven't renewed your ATX software yet, don't delay.

Does this mean that if I want to do Ohio City returns I must now spend an additional $199? So much for "no price increase over last year."

CCH is making it very clear how much they appreciate their (former?) customers...

Just my opinion. For all it is worth.

Dear ATXer,

If you prepare Ohio individual tax returns, then you know how difficult it can be to allocate income among the many taxing jurisdictions in Ohio. This task can add hours to the job of preparing a return for someone with income in multiple Ohio locations.

Well, we have a solution for you. It's the new ATX Ohio Cities package, a unique program that does all the hard work of allocating income and credits among Ohio jurisdictions. Here's what it can do for you:

• ">Automatically carry federal and state income data to the appropriate Ohio municipal returns.

• >Automatically calculate municipal tax liabilities or credits for up to 75 cities on one return.

• >Create as many OH General City forms as necessary based on resident city information.

• >Effectively prepare and file returns in all necessary Ohio local jurisdictions.

• >Check local returns for errors and flag additional entries that may be needed.

Just install this powerful new software along with your ATX tax preparation program and the rest is easy.

Call 800-944-8883 today to order this new program for only $199. Or order it online here Either way, we'll ship it to you with your 2007 tax year program in late November.

Sincerely,

Does this mean that if I want to do Ohio City returns I must now spend an additional $199? So much for "no price increase over last year."

CCH is making it very clear how much they appreciate their (former?) customers...

Jack.

Surely, they wouldn't do this. Maybe we should ask them by sending that question to their Tech Support people and see how they respond.

Wayne

Dear ATXer,

Sincerely,

Jack,

Last night after reading your concern and having gotten that same e-mail from ATX, I sent an inquiry to ATX about this matter. I got a call this morning before 9:00am from James Taubin at ATX. He said that MAX will still handle all Ohio city forms with no change. That Ohio City package is for those who don't buy MAX.

Wayne

for those who don't buy MAX.

I have come to believe that this will be the new CCH strategy. I think they are going to push everyone into MAX and leave it as the "mid-range" package in the overall product line. Over the next few years (2 maybe?), the "package deals" that we are used to from ATX like 1040 Office will be priced out of the affordable range by reducing features (note the loss of unlimited E-files this year) and then charging big $ to add them back. When you run the math, it will make more sense to buy Max than to get your custom package. Look for more things to come along (CA package with all Sales and Use, Payroll, and Property Taxes perhaps as the next "new bundle for those who don't own Max"?)

It makes sense that CCH would keep Profx as the top product line, then Max as the mid-range and mid price full service offering, and UltraTax as the small office (1040 only) product lines. By moving all of ATX's clients into Max, they streamline the product, cut cost of development, increase the $ per customer, and cut the cost of support (only one product to learn).

As a business plan, it makes sense. For those of us already on MAX, it is not a big change. For those getting squeezed on the 1040 products, it is going to suck. But the cost of MAX is affordable right now, and it does so much. Who knows what the price will be next year, but I think it is a good deal right now.

My 2 cents.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I got the same email. I had a mixed reaction.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled that ATX finally addresses the dilemma we have in OH regarding city returns. I've emailed them annually for about ten years asking for some tweaks. They have never responded. On the other, I'm appalled at the $200 price. Frankly, I'm not sure it's worth it to my practice (about 140 returns/year). I'm willing to consider it but I would need to know a lot more than is available in the brief blurb on their web site.

I just phoned ATX. Their sales rep told me that the heart of the $200 package is nothing more than a worksheet that allocates income and tax among the variuos city entities. It also includes flow through of Sch C & E info from federal forms (but only to the generic, RITA, Columbus and CCA returns), automatic creation of multiple generic city returns if the worksheets deems them necessary and error checking. She said all the city returns that were previously in Max are still there but this new functionality is not--if we want it we have to pay for it.

I asked if it's possible to get a trial version or at least more info including some screen shots. She said they are not going to do a trial version but she'll talk with the powers that be about some screen shots and more/better info on their web site. Unless it solves a $200 problem I didn't know I had I'll probably take a pass.

Well, seems to me it's nice for those in OH who have the need to have the option. I know there were always howls of pain from OH preparers. It's not something most of us would need, but for those with the need, the cost will be minor. Just think of the value of the time saved, on those who need multiple towns. I'd say it's also a good sign for the rest of us, that they are still 'enhancing' the product. So it costs more. That is something that almost always happens. QB has added to their price each year, with less than great improvements, IMHO, for the extra money, for just one example.

I think the package could also be useful for someone using another tax package that does NOT do the Ohio city returns to buy as an add on. Could be a way of marketing ATX to the non-ATX user. Since many people buy ATX for the business returns, for example, this could be another way of marketing a segment of the program, not necessarily a way to nickle and dime us up to MAX. Although with my needs, it became just easier to get MAX than the PPR and other modules I needed.

That makes a lot of sense, Joan. And I know that a lot of folks who moved up to Max a year or two ago when they had that special price for upgrading found that they realized other benefits that they had not thought about before they tried it. One new client with a need for the expanded forms in Max can pay for the upgrade, after all.

Hello Everyone,

MAX is definitely not being de-featured.

This new add-on for Ohio is actually pretty cool and will save time for those

of you who do returns for people with income in more than a few cities.

In learning about this new add-on, I was amazed at the complexity of the Ohio city tax code.

We had returns last year from Ohio where a highway employee had income from 53 cities,

all of which would have had to be entered manually. This worksheet will save a lot of time.

Jack, I do not envy your job :)

Monkeyman

I just completed my 20th or 21st year as an Ohio preparer. I'll grant you, Ohio city tax returns can be a challenge but the need to do multiple city returns is fairly rare. The majority of taxpayers need do only one city return and many (like me!) don't live or work in a city with a local tax and therefore, don't have to prepare a city return at all. Apart from a couple clients who moved, I think I did only 1 or 2 returns last year that required multiple city returns and they required only 2 or 3.

Seems to me this feature would be most helpful for taxpayers who have multiple workplaces (e.g., sales folks, service techs, delivery drivers, construction types, etc.) or who move during the course of the year.

I'm still not convinced that I have a $200 problem. Maybe if our friends in Maine can provide more details including some screen shots I'll change my mind. On the other hand, maybe I'm just too cheap to spring for it!