ATX Community

1st time US home buyer

Kea

Client bought new home in the US last month. When I asked if she had owned a home before, she said "not in the US." Before I follow up with dates, etc., I wasn't sure about this qualifier. I know the new home has to be in the US and that they can't have owed a primary home in the last 3 years. Is that "any" home or is that also limited to the US?

If I'm reading the instructions correctly, they would qualify even if they still owed the house, but it stopped being their primary residence more than 3 years ago?

Thanks.

copied from the iRS site posted by taxbilly

Q. Would I be considered a first time homebuyer if I owned a principle residence outside of the United States within the previous three years?

A. Yes. A taxpayer who owned a principal residence outside of the United States within the last three years is not disqualified from taking the credit for a purchase within the United States.

But, Kea, there are those who _like_ to feel used! :lol:

There is no :rolleyes: "proper" response here!!

I would be totally lost without all the experienced and knowledgable opinions and information posted on this forum! Many times, a situation I face has already been discussed, so there is no need to post again!!

Thanks to ALL who post and add their experience and knowledge!

Catherine,

Are you sure they want to feel USED? Maybe they want to feel USEFUL?

I, too, am grateful for all the folks here with all their experience and knowledge. Especially since everyone is so willing to share with everyone else!