ATX Community

To file or not to file by 9/15/09 2008 C corp

cred65

I'd lean in the direction of filing based on current known info and then amending once the audit is complete. That way there can't be any rude surprises if the current year loss turns out not to be a loss after all the dust settles. Plus you get to charge for the amended return. Also, a late-filed return might weaken your agrument somewhat if you need to negotiate reduced penalties on the audit results (if any). Maybe others will offer differing views or valid reasons to wait.

Taxbilly:

I think the question was based on the idae that there's no need to worry about a late filing penalty if there's a loss, and that is correct since it's a C Corp (well, maybe $100 if it's over 60 days late, but that's all that's at stake)

But there's always that possibility of a nasty surprise if the expected loss doesn't materialize or if a subsequent audit turns up a profit due to unallowed deductions, unreported income, etc.

I don't see why you wouldn't want to file the return on time if it has been prepared correctly. What excuse would be used if during the ongoing audit of the previous years' returns the agent says, "Oh by the way why wasn't the 2008 return filed?".

The $100 penalty wouldn't apply anyway since the rule is the lesser of the tax due (presumably zero in this case) or $100.

I would also be concerned about preparer penalties for advising a client not to file a return on time.

taxbilly