ATX Community

3 user computer network for ATX /scan &Fill

rich

This will be my first year in setting up office. I am wondering what will be the better way to connect multiple computers or all 3 computers should be stand alone?I wanted to know the options before the networking guy comes in.

Thanks in advance.

we use laptops as our main computers so if i have a server set up and want to do a return out in the field, how does that work? do you export it to the laptop or somehow check it out?

That's one solution exporting the return from the main computer to the laptop, however you will need to import back to the main computer for a couple of reasons (ERO #, e-file and the benefit of the server backup system). There are other ways to work from the laptops when out on the field, there are web-based programs like Logmein and VNC that allow you connect to your server remotely, the free version dosen't allow you to print when out on the field, if you send something to print, it will print at your office. If you purchase the program, it should allow you to print anywhere, just a little FYI, with the free or paid all you are doing is connecting to your computer thats in the office, so if someone uses that computer you cannot both work on it at the same time :( Second option is getting an exchange server (I think that the name?), it will allows you to log in to your office computer from any where, someone else can be using your computer and it won't affect you, the only know problems I have had with a system like this, is with Outlook, if you open an email when logged in from home, the next day return to your office and look for that important email, there is a chance it won't be there, there is some type of sync problem, but the last time I used an exchange server was in 2007, so maybe it's better now, I forgot to mention, a system like this is expensive to implement + to maintain. Third option is a VPN (Virtual Private Network), this type of network allows you to connect to your server securely to specific files or drives, any change that you make on your laptop is recorded on the server, it allows you to print when out on the field, cost is very low and no maintenance required. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, we have a vpn here in the office, i am just looking for a solution for my side practise which i maintain on my laptop and want my assistant to have access to, even when i am out. i can put it on the main server but i prefer to keep my side practice separate as much as possible.

You can setup a VPN router using your laptop, but you would have to setup it up every where you go, mind you the VPN requires LAN, so if you are at the coffee shop (wireless), your assistant won't have access. Sounds like Logmein or VNC is right for you, like I mention before only one person can work at a time. Something else to consider when using a laptop as your main source to run your business, laptops can break easily, can be stolen easily or are proned to water spills, sometimes they cannot be repaired or someone might have access to your clients SS# and other personal information. If I may recommend something inexpensive, you can buy a used business workstation for under $200 sometimes running windows xp professional and use it as a server, you don't need to buy a dedicated server that can cost over $500 + labor to set it up, there are a lot of "how to" on the internet, so you can setup a workstation+vpn yourself. Also, if you have an old computer at home, you can set it up as a server. You don't need a powerful computer with massive memory or hard drive, a 512MB of RAM and a minimun 80GB, your server is going to used only to store data, the applications will be run from your laptop. I believe there companies that can host your information for a monthly fee, it's secured, backed up daily so that might be another route for you.

MAS

Talk to the helpful folks at VMS, they can help you with this sort of solution. And since they are from the old, pre-CCH ATX team, they know just what you would need and how to help you get it set up to perfection. You buy the old computer. they log into it [they will tell you how to start that] then they configure everything just right.

Talk to the helpful folks at VMS, they can help you with this sort of solution. And since they are from the old, pre-CCH ATX team, they know just what you would need and how to help you get it set up to perfection. You buy the old computer. they log into it [they will tell you how to start that] then they configure everything just right.

Thanks KC, Yeah I will in touch with VMS once I final the rental place.