ATX Community

NY Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax (MCTMT)

HV Ken

This new tax will impact our personal NY clients with > $10,000 in Schedule C (self-employed) income.

Is there an easy way to search our client database to find all our clients with Schedule C income ? Even better would be to find only those that meet the new tax requirement.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!

See: http://www.nystax.gov/mctmt/default.htm

Easy, in the Return Manager, click on the third tab, Tax Warehouse. Then cursor right until you find the column named Business [not net sales, which is for business returns] and then click on the top of that button twice, and it will sort all the returns by the size of the Sch C income. Then, if you want, you can select the ones which fit the income levels affected, by putting a check mark by them, and then either 'export' that marked list, which will give you an excel spreadsheet, or 'print' the marked list, which will give you a simple printed list. By the way, once you have marked all of the ones who qualify, you may want to click on 'marked' and then sort them back by name first, now that you have separated the ones you want. On yes, if you want farmers as well as Sch Cs, you will need to look a bit farther right to fine the column for Farm income.

You can do this to prepare all kinds of lists, you know. All the Sch E filers, for example. All the clients with childcare. All the clients with .....well, you get the idea.

Wow! I am so very glad that KC and others know so very much about this amazing software (ATX). I admit to not spending nearly the time needed to more fully utilize its capabilities despite using it since 1996. I hope it stays around a very long time - at least until I retire!

Thanks once again, KC, for sharing your knowledge about oh, so many things! Picture uploading included...

Glad I could help. This same issue has come up a few times already, so I will just remind you all that the 'search' button is up there at the top of the page! ;~) Using export the marked list is one of the best tools around, Ken. It gives you an excel spreadsheet which you can then modify, move columns around, eliminate some and add others, etc, to give you a great practice-management tool. Everyone should use it at least once, for preparing a mailing list resource.