ATX Community

Document Manager

mdmcfarland

What would you be using document manager for?

I run a paperless office and scan all documents in. I set up a CLIENT folder, and in this folder I have a sub folder withe the client name as the folder name. In this folder I use the YEAR (2006) as a sub folder, and scan all the documents in to this folder. I also print a PDF form from the tax return when complete into this folder. It works very well form me. You will need a huge hard dirve, I have a 85 GB and it works well.

I don't think we will go completely paperless, but I wanted to scan and save W-2's, 1099's, etc. that are related to their current tax file. My hard drive isn't near as big as yours but we are only a small office. We only have 150-200 returns. I thought I would save the PDF files of the returns on a Flash Drive. That would save hard drive space.

I don't think you will have a problem. I have a couple of hundred retuns on my hard drive, have a paperless office and my backup through Mozy for my files is only 3.9GB. I don't see hard drive size as a limitation, especially when you can hook up a 500GB hard drive to almost any computer as an external drive and only spend a couple of hundred dollars.

Mike

I don't think we will go completely paperless, but I wanted to scan and save W-2's, 1099's, etc. that are related to their current tax file. My hard drive isn't near as big as yours but we are only a small office. We only have 150-200 returns. I thought I would save the PDF files of the returns on a Flash Drive. That would save hard drive space.

It is my understanding that flash drives should only be used for short periods of time. They can lose information easily over time.

Do any of you use the document manager? I was looking into using it, but I really don't want to pay $159 for the webinar. That seems much too expensive. Any halp would be appreciated.

Today when I received the 2006 Archive Edition of the ATX software, they included an evaluation copy of Scan&Fill as well as Document Mssanager.

Wayne

May I suggest that you might want to look at an external hard drive if your computer is small. I just got a Seagate with a 160 gig for $90. I have one at home too so when I am between office/home I can backup to either one if really needed. It really works like a charm. There are different types of harddrives so I would research first if you decide this might be a good option.

Laurie