ATX Community

IRS Agent Contacted Client By Phone

Booger

Hello, everybody. A client called me and said that an IRS Agent was trying to contact them.

When the client finally got the agent on the phone, the agent said that the IRS will be

auditing their 2007 1040, and that the letter outlining what they'll be examining was

mailed to the client last Friday (client has yet to receive the letter).

I have never heard of an IRS Agent calling a taxpayer to give them a "heads-up" on an

upcoming audit. Just checking with you to see if this is a new way for the IRS to contact

taxpayers. Seems a little odd to me. Usually the audit letter is the first contact that

the IRS has with a taxpayer selected for an examination.

Booger

Hello, everybody. A client called me and said that an IRS Agent was trying to contact them.

When the client finally got the agent on the phone, the agent said that the IRS will be

auditing their 2007 1040, and that the letter outlining what they'll be examining was

mailed to the client last Friday (client has yet to receive the letter).

I have never heard of an IRS Agent calling a taxpayer to give them a "heads-up" on an

upcoming audit. Just checking with you to see if this is a new way for the IRS to contact

taxpayers. Seems a little odd to me. Usually the audit letter is the first contact that

the IRS has with a taxpayer selected for an examination.

Booger

I haven't either.

Several years ago, an IRS came to the client's house unannounced. The client was gone, but the agent lefted a note to call the next day at 1:20pm...Client called me...My guess was since he had a office in home, maybe they were verifying that. He called and found out the question dealt with payroll reports...seem odd...but thinking about it...the big mall is near his house and the IRS office was located downtown...I really think the agent was looking for an excuse to do some shopping...question was solved rather quickly.

This just happened on an audit that I am currently trying to get finished. The spouse answered the phone and hung up, because she is very ill and didn't understand. She also didn't remember the call. I had no idea that they were making first

contact by telephone. I guess I won't be so shocked now.

If you are handling an audit and have a POA, the agent was definitely out of line by contacting the taxpayer by phone and I would certainly make that fact known to his/her supervisor.

taxbilly

Yes the IRS will be using the phone to contact the taxpayer(s) concerning audits and other issues that might easily be corrected by a phone call. Have had this happen twice in the last several months. There is also a big push for revenue agents to demand that they be allowed to interview the taxpayers under audit. This happened (or tried to happen yesterday)auditor insisted she meet with the taxpayer. I inform the auditor that I will be able to answer all her questions concerning the audit. No she has the right to speak with the taxpayer, I state unless you have re-written the Tax Payer Bill of Rights you have no such right and if you by-bass my POA you better have a good reason. Auditor- ok Fun dealing with them-