ATX Community

New Scanner

Catherine

Well, I decided to do it, and got myself a duplex scanner.

Since the Fujitsu that folks have raved about is no longer made and I read mixed reviews of the quality of its' replacement, I ended up with a Kodak i1120. It's the first peripheral I have ever purchased to run on a Windows machine that worked perfectly, first time, right out of the box. The scan quality is good, too. We'll see how well the customization goes, and how it lasts under the "strain" of a tax office in season. I'll let folks know if there is anything momentous.

What I cant' get over is how tiny it is! It's just a little wee box that fits on the corner of my desk, and weighs less than six pounds. It came with cords to plug into any outlet in England or Europe as well as the US/Canada, and quick set-up sheets in about a dozen different languages. I had fun figuring out which language was which. French, Spanish, Italian, Russian -- those were easy. Danish, Dutch, Polish, Finnish -- those were harder. And there are two Oriental languages I'm still not sure of. There are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and one other. And I'm not sure which one is the Japanese and -what- the other one could be!

Catherine

Congratulations! I got the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 several months ago but not soon enough. I love this little thing! I wish I had bought it last year, though, before I paid someone for a couple of months to scan all my old files. Well, she really needed the money so I guess it was for the better. But now - WOW! I think you will wonder how you ever managed without it. I know I do. I'm sure the Kodak works the same; they are amazing.

Do you need any additional software?

It comes with the scanner software itself, PaperPort, OmniPage, BizCard, and other stuff as well. I don't think there's anything else you need. There may be other stuff you can -use- (and one of the benefits of a TWAIN compliant machine is that it -will- work with other software if you have pre-existing favorites), but nothing else you -need- to make use of the little critter.

I also purchased Kodak i1120 a few months ago. Mine works fine too. I have a lot of single-side scanning so I set up a custom set up so I won't create a "blank" image for the back side of a scanned document. I found that Adobe Standard works well to save an image name when scanning documents to client's tax folder. I too am waiting to see how well the unit holds up during tax season.

Well, I decided to do it, and got myself a duplex scanner.

Since the Fujitsu that folks have raved about is no longer made and I read mixed reviews of the quality of its' replacement, I ended up with a Kodak i1120. It's the first peripheral I have ever purchased to run on a Windows machine that worked perfectly, first time, right out of the box. The scan quality is good, too. We'll see how well the customization goes, and how it lasts under the "strain" of a tax office in season. I'll let folks know if there is anything momentous.

What I cant' get over is how tiny it is! It's just a little wee box that fits on the corner of my desk, and weighs less than six pounds. It came with cords to plug into any outlet in England or Europe as well as the US/Canada, and quick set-up sheets in about a dozen different languages. I had fun figuring out which language was which. French, Spanish, Italian, Russian -- those were easy. Danish, Dutch, Polish, Finnish -- those were harder. And there are two Oriental languages I'm still not sure of. There are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and one other. And I'm not sure which one is the Japanese and -what- the other one could be!

Catherine

Thanks for your input Catherine. I have been researching scanners all weekend, starting with the Fujitsu, but hadn't made a decision. Knowing your experience, I'll give the Kodak a try.

Well, here's hoping that it works well for all of us!

I got a very good price from NewEgg and also went for their extended warranty. Got one of those for my multi-function machine and when something (details fuzzy) went wrong with it a couple years ago, they talked me through some trials, then said, "OK, we're sending you a new one - send this one back in the box the new one comes in; there will be a call tag enclosed." And I was very pleased with that service (and of course hope to never need it again).

Catherine